Ask a chef

My Mom used to make the best Cream Puffs in the world. When she was still alive I had no time or interest to cook. Now am retired and newlywed to a man that just loves my cooking. However...my Cream Puffs fall flat every blasted time. Can you walk me through the technique? The flavor is right just not the texture. My recipe came from an antique cookbook to the instructions are vague.
I am in no way a chef but saw a cooking contest on tv, and when the cream puff shells came out of the oven, they poked holes in either end to let the steam out so they didn't get soggy and collapse. It might help.

Yeah...they didn't get puffed up even a little.:oops:
hmm... baking powder vs baking soda? :confused: You could look up some recipes online and compare with yours to see if something is missing. I really am not a cook... more of a scientist. Cooking is all chemical reaction. Granny and I have a nickname for the kitchen... torture chamber!

hmm... baking powder vs baking soda? :confused: You could look up some recipes online and compare with yours to see if something is missing. I really am not a cook... more of a scientist. Cooking is all chemical reaction. Granny and I have a nickname for the kitchen... torture chamber!
You are actually one of the few people besides myself to call cooking chemistry! But my recipe is from a 1949 Ohio State Grange cookbook and calls for neither baking soda or powder. Just salt,eggs,butter,flour and water. I'm thinking my failure had to do with gluten elasticity.

:frow
The difference between baking powedr and baking soda is that b.powder don't need any acidifinig agent, like lemon or venigar, like baking soda do, just water.

Back
Top Bottom