Ask a chef

got a question to ask for you chefs out there.

anyone make corned beef before? my mom bought some yesterday for supper and was it good, so now i want to try and make some.

i watched some recipes and everyone seems to use brisket, can you use any cheap cut of meat or do you have to use brisket?

also i plan to try and make some out of wild meat, got some deer and bear in the freezer i would like to use up, planning on making it three ways (one bear, one deer and last beef)

got a question to ask for you chefs out there.

anyone make corned beef before? my mom bought some yesterday for supper and was it good, so now i want to try and make some.

i watched some recipes and everyone seems to use brisket, can you use any cheap cut of meat or do you have to use brisket?

also i plan to try and make some out of wild meat, got some deer and bear in the freezer i would like to use up, planning on making it three ways (one bear, one deer and last beef)
I am following this guy he really know what he is doing

That's great, thanks Akrnaf. I never knew how corned beef was made.
The Saltpeter AKA curing salt is ABSOLUTELY not necessary. Nitrates give me instant migraines. The beef isn't better because it is still red before cooking and that is all the saltpeter is for. AND, you'll notice that it isn't even still red when he takes it out of the brine.

That's great, thanks Akrnaf. I never knew how corned beef was made.
The Saltpeter AKA curing salt is ABSOLUTELY not necessary. Nitrates give me instant migraines. The beef isn't better because it is still red before cooking and that is all the saltpeter is for. AND, you'll notice that it isn't even still red when he takes it out of the brine.
Yes, and that without mentioning the fact that it suspected as a carcinogenic substance........

Another good reason to skip it. I understand why people would have used it way back before vacuum sealing and good refrigeration. The "uncured" bacon I buy is just as pink as the "cured" stuff sitting next to it in the grocery coolers. And I don't know why they call it "uncured" since it IS salt cured same as the "cured" stuff. Still a lot of salt, they just skip the couple of tablespoons of "pink" salt/saltpeter.

"Nan sangak" the "little Pebbles bred" wonderful Persian bred backed on hot Pebbles, I used a mixture of white and whole spelled flour.
Used a mixture of Sesame and Nigella seeds for the topping
20191108_075216.jpg
20191108_075310.jpg
20191108_075331.jpg
20191108_075339.jpg
20191108_075413.jpg
20191108_075429.jpg
20191108_075454.jpg
20191108_075945.jpg
20191108_080008.jpg
20191108_080034.jpg
20191108_080101.jpg