Ask a chef

Regarding hard boiling eggs so they are easy to peel:
I heard that doing it in a pressure cooker works so I found a method with Google.
In short: IT WORKS!
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/237562/pressure-cooker-hard-boiled-eggs/

I did 3 eggs, 2 of unknown age they were part of a hidden nest with 19 eggs, 15 from one Easter Egger, 4 from another. The third egg was 6 days old from a White Rock. They all peeled easily and the yolks were perfect, yellow, not tinting, not chalky.
I do my eggs like that also. I have an instapot. I set it on the egg setting but as soon as it dings, I release all steam and remove pot and fill with ice cold water. They are so easy to peel. My only problem is I can’t get the yolks to center. Any suggestions?

I didn't know one COULD affect the location of the yolk! I guess the InstaPot people knew about this method of "hard boiling" well before some of us since they have an egg setting.

A couple of my black australorps have started laying. I LOVE egg salad and have been making my own for 30+ years. Why on earth are hard boiled fresh eggs so hard to peel? I'll have to purchase a pressure cooker and give it a try but if anyone knows the 'why' I'm really curious. Also, aside from the pressure cooker, anyone else found a trick to getting around this problem? Much thx in advance.

Bring water to full boil. Add eggs. I use a spoon to gently put them in. Let boil like normal. When done flush with cold water. Crack eggs, add back to cold water. Add ice. Then peel. It works for me!

A couple of my black australorps have started laying. I LOVE egg salad and have been making my own for 30+ years. Why on earth are hard boiled fresh eggs so hard to peel? I'll have to purchase a pressure cooker and give it a try but if anyone knows the 'why' I'm really curious. Also, aside from the pressure cooker, anyone else found a trick to getting around this problem? Much thx in advance.
Find someone with an instapot. Most people that got them don’t even use them. What is your recipe for egg salad.

Try to add a Tbs of backing soda in the boiling water.

I tried all methods. The instapot is the only thing that does it for me. Once you get used to using it it such a time saver. I make a big pot of oatmeal and quinoa every night

Back
Top Bottom