Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

I have made my own incubator and put 6 rare Aseel eggs in it they are from Thailand I personally picked them out of a champion aseel cock and hen (hen from India) for looks and height and they cost me loads!!

I put the eggs in an incubator and my temperature couldn't possibly be better I also have a fan inside the incubator too but my problem is, my incubator has no water in it and the humidity reads 70%... I read a few forums and found out there is a calibration test where you get salt and a ziplock bag blah, blah, blah.. And it turns out my hygrometer landed exactly on 75% SHARP! For 12 hours staraight. I am going to put the hygrometer back in the incubator when it's time to turn the eggs.

What shall I do? My humidity reads 70 - 75% when there is not a drop of water in there?!?!
I have seen people post that you can add dry rice to your incubator to help bring down humidity. I've never had to try it though. Good luck!

I'm having my first hatch. 2 eggs have pipped. The first one is at the 18 hour mark. His membrane is white white white! The humidity is at 70%. I can moisten it w/o opening the incubator, so I was moistening it but it dries back out in a few minutes. Should I keep moistening it? Not sure what to do...

So if you ask a chick related question, I'll do my best to answer, I think it's a good idea because it'll help me and you learn more about chicks!

Simple/Stupid questions ARE NOT stupid in my view- when your just starting out you don't know lol!

We were all there once so ask away!!
Hi I have a broody hen with chicks due in the next couple days and I just had 2 hatch out of my incubatoresume two days ago. Is there a way I can sneak those couple days older ones in with the ones she hatches or should I just take the chicks and put them all in the brooder box?

I'm new to hatching chicks and right now I have my first 18 eggs incubating. Its day 21 and a chick is hatching. Their is a small pipped hole in the egg but a white membrane seems to be blocking it. It appears as though the chick is breathing, but I've read about hatch-out and dry membranes so how do I know if my chick is stuck in the membrane and needs help?

I'm new to hatching chicks and right now I have my first 18 eggs incubating. Its day 21 and a chick is hatching. Their is a small pipped hole in the egg but a white membrane seems to be blocking it. It appears as though the chick is breathing, but I've read about hatch-out and dry membranes so how do I know if my chick is stuck in the membrane and needs help?
It sounds like it has pipped. Give it 24 hours. It should zip by then. After it zips it should hatch in an hour or so ( I'm thinking Or less, but I'm not positive). What is your humidity at? Don't open the incubator!! That contributes very quickly to "shrink wrapped" chicks (where the membrane dries out).

Search @Sally Sunshine on BYC, she has a TON of info on hatching chicks!! Good luck & welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Last edited:
hey there I'm curious on how to get my rooster to mate with my hens, one hen has some missing feathers on her neck and was attacked by the Roo i now no not to put an injured hen near him, i have one other that is fine he did not attack, they are not the same breed what kind of out come could i get and should i remove the wounded hen so the rooster and the other hen can mate

hey there I'm curious on how to get my rooster to mate with my hens, one hen has some missing feathers on her neck and was attacked by the Roo i now no not to put an injured hen near him, i have one other that is fine he did not attack, they are not the same breed what kind of out come could i get and should i remove the wounded hen so the rooster and the other hen can mate

The rooster bites the hen's neck when he mates with her.

Two different breeds mating will produce a mixed breed.

If he wants to mate with the other hen, he will try regardless of if the other hen is there or not.

BTW these questions are not really relevant to this thread.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom