Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

Hi! I hope for some good news... I got 8 eggs from my friend, to incubate. I really want some of these babies! But before they made it into the incubator, I had a sudden hospitalization. I was gone a week. Our temperatures have been quite high during the day, and cool at night. I have briefly floated the eggs, and the fat end rises. Are they ruined? I am so disappointed! Do you think that they could possibly be any good anymore?
Thank you!

Hi! I hope for some good news... I got 8 eggs from my friend, to incubate. I really want some of these babies! But before they made it into the incubator, I had a sudden hospitalization. I was gone a week. Our temperatures have been quite high during the day, and cool at night. I have briefly floated the eggs, and the fat end rises. Are they ruined? I am so disappointed! Do you think that they could possibly be any good anymore?
Thank you!
How old were they when you went in the hospital? Were they being turned at all? Were they in the air conditioned house or exposed to the high temperatures? Those questions ( and probably others) affect the answer to the question of viability.

Thank you!

Like Karen said, we need more info. However, the air cell is in the fat end, that is why it floats that end up. Floating is not going to be useful at this point though.

After incubating and hatching can I give them to hens to brood?
That depends on whether or not you have any broody hens. As far as I know, you can't just give them to any ol hen & expect the hen to mother them. The hen has to be broody and you have to sneak them into her nest/under her to make her think that she hatched them.

I got 6 2 week old chicks a few weeks ago. From day one, one of them had a completely featherless butt. Not even some baby fuzz. Its been like the whole time till yesterday. They are all getting their bigger feathers now. And i finally see some feathers starting to grom on its little bare butt.

Why did it happen and will it all be fine with time?

Hello guys.. I attached the picture of my hen. She is broody these days,but i am worried about her as her tail and hairs/feathers from her back merely disappeared. I though it happened because the rooster did so much mating with her (i.e. 3,4 times a day) but i was wrong.She lays eggs well. She is healthy and active. I feed her like other flock members but still her tail, as you can see, is gone. Please analyze the picture and share your views with me ASAP. Thank you.

Might she be molting? Several of my hens look this way just now, although they have not lost all of their tail feathets, only some. I am worried about sunburn, so I have to make some hen aprons. As I understand it, from their second Autumn season on, this can be expected. This is only my second year with chickens, howevet, so I will be interested in the opinions of those wiser and more learned than I.:)

Hello guys.. I attached the picture of my hen. She is broody these days,but i am worried about her as her tail and hairs/feathers from her back merely disappeared. I though it happened because the rooster did so much mating with her (i.e. 3,4 times a day) but i was wrong.She lays eggs well. She is healthy and active. I feed her like other flock members but still her tail, as you can see, is gone. Please analyze the picture and share your views with me ASAP. Thank you.
I would guess molt. I don't see any evidence of mites or lice. Do you ever see any other chickens picking at her feathers? If so, you may have a feather eater, but I don't really have any experience with them.

I wish you're right but i don't think its molting because the thing is happening for the last 2+ months. And one thing i forgot to tell you is her eyesight becomes weaker. She cant even see a thing (eatable) lying in front of her. She is cochin bantam with an age of 1 year and passed molting in her younger days. Its nothing wrong with her due to this no tail thing (except her eyesight) but still it seems weird (a hen without tail). Should i be worried about her or take her to the doctor ? Or should it be left aside to get her cured by her self ? (any home remedy or medicine you want to suggest?).... And no, no flock member has the habit of feather eating.. Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom