At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Pics
I sure would like to know WHAT problems they are talking about. Wonder WHY they wont say WHAT problems?
smile.png
With mine being out free ranging like they are most all day long most everyday they are using up calcium I'm sure that might would cause caged up birds problems. I guess it just depends on each persons birds as to just how active they are etc. I'm just curious and like learning the WHY of things.
big_smile.png

I'm bad about wanting to know the why of things, too. The answer I got from the company girl kind of floated in the air with not much detail. I imagine they're either trained to act that way or she really didn't know. I'll try to find where I read about molting neck hackles being related to too-early feed.

I have 2 BA girls that are both 19 weeks old. One of them started laying a week ago, the other one hasn't even shown signs that she's ready to lay. All of my girls, 5 RIR, 2 Brahma, 1 Orphington and the 2 BA, all changed personalities once they started laying. My
Layers got very friendly and social and trusting of me, will squat down to let me pet them etc. However, my Australorp girls, even the one laying, act as though they're terrified of me. All but them will eat food out of my hand. Maybe it's just the breed?

And YES feeding layer feed prior to 18 weeks on a non laying bird can cause havoc in the kidneys. It can cause blockages and issues that can possibly stall OR circumvent egg laying. I'm told it's not a hugely common problem, but certainly possible. My veterinarian told me to never feed layer feed prior to 16-18 weeks unless the bird is in fact laying. One of my girls, RIR started laying at 15 weeks, so in her case, she was able to
Use layer feed at that point.

I have 2 BA girls that are both 19 weeks old. One of them started laying a week ago, the other one hasn't even shown signs that she's ready to lay. All of my girls, 5 RIR, 2 Brahma, 1 Orphington and the 2 BA, all changed personalities once they started laying. My
Layers got very friendly and social and trusting of me, will squat down to let me pet them etc. However, my Australorp girls, even the one laying, act as though they're terrified of me. All but them will eat food out of my hand. Maybe it's just the breed?

The Australorp I have is one big sweetie. Most people say that about them. If you separated them from the group, they might change for the better. Maybe they're last on the totem pole and don't want another hen to whack them for getting close to you (the food machine). As far as the squatting down. In my experience that's what they do when they're being submissive, as to a rooster. Some of mine do it when I reach for them, a few don't.

I
The Australorp I have is one big sweetie. Most people say that about them. If you separated them from the group, they might change for the better. Maybe they're last on the totem pole and don't want another hen to whack them for getting close to you (the food machine). As far as the squatting down. In my experience that's what they do when they're being submissive, as to a rooster. Some of mine do it when I reach for them, a few don't.

I may try the separation thing. My Australorp are definitely very low on the pecking order so that may be the main issue! My Brahma girls are most definitely aggressive when it comes to food and crowding the others away from me at feeding time.

Also try to spend more one on one with your BAs in the evening when they're more relaxed. Give them treats too, because then they'll associate you with being the treat person! They'll eventually feel more at ease around you. That's what I did with my two, because my other hens tend to steal the spotlight!

Also try to spend more one on one with your BAs in the evening when they're more relaxed. Give them treats too, because then they'll associate you with being the treat person! They'll eventually feel more at ease around you. That's what I did with my two, because my other hens tend to steal the spotlight!

mine isn't very tame either but they will come around but not before the rir pullets do. They are seeming to warm up to me now though if I can remember to move more slowly around them. If they are the last ones in the door and I am standing in the door, they really are shy about coming in and if I look away or act like I'm not paying attention they will ease on in. Just wondering IF I separate mine would they get more used to me. BUT that would be really hard to do with my set up.

mine isn't very tame either but they will come around but not before the rir pullets do. They are seeming to warm up to me now though if I can remember to move more slowly around them. If they are the last ones in the door and I am standing in the door, they really are shy about coming in and if I look away or act like I'm not paying attention they will ease on in. Just wondering IF I separate mine would they get more used to me. BUT that would be really hard to do with my set up.

Seems to me, at least with these as examples, the Australorps are followers rather than leaders. I kind of like that about them. Not pushy chicks at all.

Back
Top Bottom