At what age do silkies start to lay????

I got my road island red to start laying when I put a couple golf balls in her nest. It makes them want to lay because they think the golf balls are eggs.

My buff silkie started laying at 4 1/2 months. My 4 week old black silkies are already acting like they want to lay eggs. one of them makes nests for herself and keeps looking under herself to see if there is an egg.

It really depends on how happy the chickens are. if they are sad it would probably take 9-10 months of age.

hope this helped you!!!!!!!!!!!

My girl is 5 1/2 months old and I didn't expect anything anytime soon but this morning she woke me up with this VERY loud clucking, squaking and some other noise that sounded very much like an egg song. When I went to see if something was wrong she squatted for me which she hasn't done before. Crossing my fingers for my first egg soon :) She is my first chicken and the others are still in the awkward teenage stage

Last edited:
Wow i guess you got lucky!!

Going on 5 Months now and still 0 eggs hoping and praying ;)

We do have other hens but not silkies we only have 2 silkies.

We have a rooster And a hen
Strut :hugs Butter bean AKA BB

It happened! Jane's first egg! Cutest little thing ever. Can't tell by the picture but it's a lovely shade of peach

I have 8 silkies in four different colors that are 5 1/2 months old & 3 of them just started laying last week. So far they are laying an egg every other day. I ordered all male silkies, but on reading more about silkies the books say that the silkie chicken is the hardest chicken to sex, so I may have more hens. The books also say the hens can start laying from 5 months - 9 months old. I may have to wait a few more months to see how many hens & how many roosters I have. They are such wonderful little creatures that it doesn't matter if I have hens or roosters. It sure is fun trying to guess which is a hen & which is a rooster. So far I am at 2 to 1. The two I thought were roosters because of the big waddles turned out to start laying eggs last week.

I have 8 silkies that are 5 1/2 months old. I am new to silkies but I am finding them quite delightful little creatures. When I ordered my silkies I ordered all males, but I am discovering that at least 4 are girls so far since they started laying eggs. It doesn't matter to me if I have end up with roosters or hens since both are nice. The more reading I do on silkies the more I learn. I read that silkies are the hardest to sex of all chicken breeds. You usually can't tell till they lay an egg or not. Some silkies don't lay there first egg until they are 9 months old. Not all silkie roosters crow. I figure by the time mine are 9 months old & haven't laid an egg, I will assume they are roosters. Have fun with your silkies.
Lko

do you need a nesting box for silkies to start laying? I have them for my larger hens but they are high off the floor. my silkies sleep in a pen within the coop. the door is always open on it. it is where they lived when I introduced them to the flock and they continue to sleep in there in a huddle. I thought they might use it as a place to lay also. they are close to 9 minths old and still have not laid. now the rooster crows like he's a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom