Attn: People who have expressed interest in my Speckled Sussex eggs

Quote:
Its okay if you do that but my 'pets' definatly do not have a purpose rofl. I just love them. I have hedgehogs, tortoises, budgies, finches, chickens I had a duck who came in the house and walked on a leash, he played w/ our dog too. My chickens actually ride on the handlebars of our bikes down the dirt roads you should see the double takes people do "Woah. Was that a chicken?!" I don't think it would be very irresponsible if that person knew it was a mean roo and decided that was okay and they could take care of it and the people around it and caring for it. :] Lol i just like saving things i guess.

Well I just wanted you to know that I don't kill things just because I can. I really value the animals in my care. This rooster has left a scratch on my two year olds head that ran from just behind his eye to his temple. After that he was put up in the pen farthest away from access that my kids had. Not that they wanted to be anywhere near him anyway. His girls are among our favorites and it would be nice to have them out and about again. I do have pets, like the dog and the cat, but the cat chases mice and the dog helps me with cows. Actually, she doesn't help so much with cows anymore because we moved off of the ranch, but two winters ago she saved me from a cow trying to trample me in a stall and took my beating for me and a few weeks ago she saved my two small boys from my pig who escaped and chased them in the yard. So I couldn't possibly get rid of her- ever. Incidentally, the pig currently resides in my freezer because it can't get out of there.

I know im not getting mad at you or anything. Im just curious. I don't know 'strong stomach'? Im 15 and take care of all of the animals but the dogs so I get attached.

Quote:
Well that makes sense to me. I was raised in a city so my initial exposure to first hand farming was after I was married and moved onto the ranch when I was 26 years old. I remember how I felt the first time we butchered a cow, dressed it out and cut and wrapped it. I don't think the feeling ever completely goes away. On a ranch it's just a necessary thing. We raise animals for the purpose of eating them and then we do. It does take some getting used to but what helps me is knowing that it is benefiting my family.

I hate having to cull our roos but I would hate it more to see them go to a home where
they are mistreated or used for cockfighting. There isn't much of a demand for roosters,
especially aggressive ones.

Culling an animal, especially one you have raised, is not an easy thing to do.

Quote:
Well that makes sense to me. I was raised in a city so my initial exposure to first hand farming was after I was married and moved onto the ranch when I was 26 years old. I remember how I felt the first time we butchered a cow, dressed it out and cut and wrapped it. I don't think the feeling ever completely goes away. On a ranch it's just a necessary thing. We raise animals for the purpose of eating them and then we do. It does take some getting used to but what helps me is knowing that it is benefiting my family.

I don't think I would ever just get used to. I was vegetarian for a whole summer my dad thinks its unhealthy though and made me stop. I think I will definatly have chickens when I move out. I told my friends my family would be vegetarians and they told me I was strange, really I think its healthier in my oppion. I also kinda think its a guy thing they have less of a prob w/ it then a girl would.

I want to cull some layers that are not up to my standard and also raise my own meat birds. I procesed for the first time this summer 122 Cornish X's and I was suprised how little it bothered me also butchered 4 sheep ! it was dirty good purposeful work and these old hens are going to meat
lol.png
there maker even if my mom doesn't like it she sure does like chicken stock
tongue.png
oh and by the way I am 16 and live in the city but I would like to be a farmer if not full time then grow most of my own food and have another job

Henry

Quote:
Well yea the cockfighting thing I would be afraid of. I think my best-friends dad might do it he has these extremely large oriental lookin roosters he keeps all separated and his friends come over on weekends and u can hear the chickens at our house making a ton of noise, but I don't know what to do she is my best friend and her dad is super nice I don't see why he would do it and I don't want to get them in trouble. Ive been debating it in my head for awhile to call them in or not.

Quote:
You see them alot differently I name mine and give mine kisses. I don't think Id want to eat something I named. I don't take big chickens usually anway I have all bantams at the moment.

We raised chickens to eat when I was in high school, the day they were prepared for the freezer I locked myself in my bedroom and refused to help and couldn't eat them.

Now with my allergies if I want chicken it has to be raised by us and prepared by us, so no perfumes or chemicals touch it like in the stores. I even feel the chickens and tell my DH when I want us to prepare the chickens. I cried the first few times but we have lots of chickens now and I stopped naming them, I couldn't think of that many names anyway, I pet them still though.

My daughter thinks it's freaky so we don't have chicken when she comes over and I understand her feeling.

Quote:
Yea I had to put one of our hens 'out of its misery' because it had a broken hip I could not fix. I could not do it. I took it to the neighbor and him shoot it. I was walking back to burry it in our yard it was in a white trash bag, and it started flopping. I screamed and dropped it.

Quote:
You see them alot differently I name mine and give mine kisses. I don't think Id want to eat something I named. I don't take big chickens usually anway I have all bantams at the moment.

I understand yours are pets mine are layers only not pets and don't have names, I know I will spare a few my little ameraucanas will never go in the pot but others I am not to sure about

Back
Top Bottom