August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Thinking abt doing a dry incubation.
My incubator has stayed steady at 35% humidity for a wk now...thinking abt leaving well enough alone till lock down...and then adding water....

Anyone else dry incubate??
If the ambient humidity is 30% or higher I don't add any water to the incubator until lock down. Then I shoot for 70-75% for the first 2 days of lock down and on the third 60% as when the chicks start hatching the humidity goes up rapidly. Mine went up so fast on one hatch I had to crack the top of the incubator to unfog the window for viewing. The humidity was upwards of 90+ %.

If the ambient humidity is 30% or higher I don't add any water to the incubator until lock down. Then I shoot for 70-75% for the first 2 days of lock down and on the third 60% as when the chicks start hatching the humidity goes up rapidly. Mine went up so fast on one hatch I had to crack the top of the incubator to unfog the window for viewing. The humidity was upwards of 90+ %.
Thank you, my ambient is 60%.
I decided last night I won't add water till lock down. The incubator is sitting @35% and once I add eggs and they lose moisture it'll likely go up a good bit....

F
Broody sat beautifully for 4 days (just long enough to see some life on 4 eggs)...and decided today she didn't wanna sit...and left the eggs unattended all day...so into the bator they went ....and will hatch almost a whole wk earlier than my shipped eggs...

Now to brainstorm how imma manage this in 1 incubator...sigh...
Friend is looking to try BRs as a meat bird...
Shes gonna take my already developed eggs tomorrow and finish the incubation

Broody sat beautifully for 4 days (just long enough to see some life on 4 eggs)...and decided today she didn't wanna sit...and left the eggs unattended all day...so into the bator they went ....and will hatch almost a whole wk earlier than my shipped eggs...

I have one I have no choice but to break, think she has been broody for about 6 weeks!!!

Not easy. That's why I bought 4 cheap Styrofoam units and use 2 as setters and 2 as hatchers.

I have one I have no choice but to break, think she has been broody for about 6 weeks!!!
I’m battling my lavender guinea hen on this front, as well: she has really gone after my hands + arms this week when I was working to clear her egg stockpile! I’ll be treating these open wounds for awhile.

Once I get them all collected I am vowing to prevent egg accumulation again, for everyone’s well-being. :fl

I’m battling my lavender guinea hen on this front, as well: she has really gone after my hands + arms this week when I was working to clear her egg stockpile! I’ll be treating these open wounds for awhile.

Once I get them all collected I am vowing to prevent egg accumulation again, for everyone’s well-being. :fl
I have to put a sweatshirt on and gloves when I get eggs.. It has been in the 90's lately so tried with out the sweatshirt but she can reach above the glove and got my arm so now I throw it on to over my arms and it is so much easier to collect the eggs each day! I have to hold her with one hand while I collect since if I put her down she charges me and jumps at me!!!! my other girls may try to peck me but they aren't bad and if I put them down in the coop to collect eggs they just lay there or get up and wander around complaining........ Not my psycho broody! LOL

Back
Top Bottom