Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Tiela I don't name anything until I know it's a keeper. Girl or boy as I can't keep all the girls either. I know that doesn't help you now but it would be sad if you gave up hatching because of it.

I have 3 roos in the backyard now - and two crow from 4.30 in the morning. They are just a bit too small to eat yet. I put them in the cat crate every night and that stops them. Even when I let them out @ 7am before I go to work they are subdued. It won't work forever but at least it buys some time while they grow.

BTW In the Brisbane local government area you can have 6 poultry on a block up to 800m2 and over 800m2 20. No roosters at all unless your block is zoned rural.

Speaking of roos in suburbia, a good size kangaroo hopped up the street last weekend. 40 minutes later it hopped back.

Tiela I don't name anything until I know it's a keeper. Girl or boy as I can't keep all the girls either. I know that doesn't help you now but it would be sad if you gave up hatching because of it.

I have 3 roos in the backyard now - and two crow from 4.30 in the morning. They are just a bit too small to eat yet. I put them in the cat crate every night and that stops them. Even when I let them out @ 7am before I go to work they are subdued. It won't work forever but at least it buys some time while they grow.

BTW In the Brisbane local government area you can have 6 poultry on a block up to 800m2 and over 800m2 20. No roosters at all unless your block is zoned rural.

Speaking of roos in suburbia, a good size kangaroo hopped up the street last weekend. 40 minutes later it hopped back.

What I was trying to say Teila, was that you can manage them. Not that I'd suggest you break a local law.

But it does only work if you lock them all up - turns out I've got FOUR roos in my backyard. That means I got 6 roos out of my last hatch of 9.

Also have to say I love the sound of a crowing rooster. Love it!

Hay guys, check this out. It's  a great link.
I didn't know incubation was so in depth. I am sort of over whelmed now...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Edit: To actually add in the link.lol.

I think with incubating luke it is more finding what works for you. If you speak to 20 people you will prob find they all do it slightly different. it's just what works for you. The longer you do it the less you seem to care about the little things you just bung them in and set you temps and humidity and forget them lol. Unless you are hatching rexy's eggs then you become like a newbie again stressing over every little detail :p :oops: :lau

Last edited:
I have 10 chooks of dubious heritage but they're super pretty! After my horrible start with one needing to be put down (his burial place plant is sooo healthy and growing beautifully which is cool) I was feeling anxious but they're all doing great, this week we are moving them into their paddock (they've been in a large enclosure whilst growing) .. so all very exciting. I could while away hours watching them, they're so cute!

I have 10 chooks of dubious heritage but they're super pretty! After my horrible start with one needing to be put down (his burial place plant is sooo healthy and growing beautifully which is cool) I was feeling anxious but they're all doing great, this week we are moving them into their paddock (they've been in a large enclosure whilst growing) .. so all very exciting. I could while away hours watching them, they're so cute! 

Hi Joan and welcome :frow

Back
Top Bottom