Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi everyone! Just a quick note to check in and say I'm sorry I haven't been on recently... It's sad that that seems to be all I've posted on this thread in the last 6 months. You'd think with the school holidays I'd have been able to find more time for BYC, but it seems that that wasn't going to happen. I probably won't be on much this year, since I'm in Yr 12. I've got to go to face-to-face school for one subject (gasp!) and that's THREE TIMES A WEEK!!! I'll have no time left. (For those who are wondering, I'm a correspondence/SOTA student).

Anyway, I have been quite busy chicken-wise... Hatching like crazy since October but am winding up now since we're going away in April and I'm not allowed to have any chicks left then. I've had lots of unfortunately fatalities - including 7 Frizzle-cross chicks (6 to the heat and one to a fox), now I've only got one Frizzle hen left and no chicks, which is sad, so I'm still incubating her eggs. I've got about 180 chickens now - cockerels will be either sold or eaten, pullets will be kept to lay eggs. I've started an egg round which is pretty cool because now I have money! Only I'm not getting enough eggs at the moment, hence al the pullets (I was planning to sell the pullets, but then people kept asking me for eggs...)

I think that's pretty much everyone, and sorry to bore you all if I talk to much! I'm not sure there's anything else to add... No, I had a birthday, so now I'm 17, but apart from that... Happy Australia Day for yesterday!

from Rachel.

Well it's good to hear from you Rachel, I hope you can say hi every so often. But good luck with all your classes an school work I hope it all works out for you.

150 chickens WOW no wonder you have no time. How are you feeding them all? Also sorry to hear about you frizzles.
I to am also stopping (well trying to) adding to my flock. It's not getting to much but I feel as though it could.

apps do you reckon you could post one of your proudest works here on the Thread as my Grandma is looking for some nice chicken photos she can paint. She used to paint but stopped a while ago but has now taken it up again so I just experimenting with different animals to paint.
You don't have to or you could PM it to me if you wanted. Just a suggestion. I would take a pic of the art work to show you or could post it to you if you wanted.

Thanks Rachel for pointing me toward this thread. Sorry to hear that you must slow down operations, but I am interested in your egg production venture. That's the direction I would like to go, eventually - a little retirement occupation. For 180 chooks, what does your egg volume look like and how do you get them all processed and delivered? I want to know if I could keep up if I tried to do the same. Also, did you have to get a special permit?

Thanks in advance
SBoiled

Welcome softboiled and good to hear from you Rachel. The rains have finally eased we got 350mm of rain in 3 days so it is all very soggy around here right now. Some road are closed so wont be going anywhere today but I finally have green grass again lol if you can see it for all the puddles. We were lucky we did not get the winds off the x tropical cyclone just a lot of rain.

It may have eased of there but it's bucketing down here. We had to make a small dam wall to stop all the rushing water eroding away the soil on which my roost and nest shed sits. On the bright side the ducks are having a ball. There are heaps of puddles to splosh around in. It's so funny to watch.

I set some eggs today (half a doz Minorca eggs). I'm just thankful that there is no lightning or thunder.

Hi there. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking for a few months now, and last December took the plunge and brought home three Isa Browns (GLaD0S, Babs and Ginger) to my small suburban backyard in inner Southwest Sydney.
It's been an interesting summer, with a few +40C days. My chicken learning curve has grown immensely, culminating in my first egg yesterday. YAY!!
Of course, now it's pouring with rain, and I'm about to convince my husband to come driving around the neighbourhood with me to find a pallet to stick under my chicken tractor so my poor girls won't float away in the deluge.
As for the chicken tractor...hmm...haven't had it two months yet, and it's already falling apart. Might be time to do my first ever spot of building. Maybe you can teach an old chook new tricks?

Meg

HI Meg welcome to byc. My neighbour had 6 chicks drown yesterday as they were out and the water came up quick. Thankfully all my girls have made it through ok thus far. I had the young quails inside but everything else was outside.

I Meg good to have you board, it's pretty wet down here as well but the ducks like it.
Don't worry chicken math will kick soon and before long you will have another couple chicken, then some more etc.lol.
If you wanted we could put some pictures up of our chickens set up if you need ideas?

Back
Top Bottom