Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks, I hope Fancychooklady or someone can help! It's a bit liquidy too, not sure if it's cecal or diarrhea. There was another batch that looked similar but no red bits in it.

I have treated them for cocci with baycox from vet on the weekend, and also wormed them with levamisole in the water and moximax pour on. Lordstark mentioned piperazine in another thread, do I need to treat them with that too??

They are still looking bright with good appetite, although one of them in particular had been molting a lot. I find lots of white feathers everywhere, but she's not looking bald at all?

From what I've read baycox doesn't treat all strains of cocci. Amprolium does. I would only treat with one wormer. When you treat with amprolium you start with the stated dosage for 5-7 days then halve the dosage for a further 5-7 days, then halve it again for yet another 5-7 days. This messes with the thiamine levels and slowly starves the coccidia. Best not to administer other drugs while treating for cocci. Go back to the links I gave you to compare the poop pics.
Honestly if you are going to keep chickens , you need to have amprolium 200 in your first aid box. Cocci is one of the more preventable fatal diseases that chickens will more than likely suffer. If you have sparrows or wild birds visiting your property, then you are susceptible to cocci.

Hi All,

New to the forums here i'm from Sydney. My mum was asking for months about getting some chickens so I got her a Coop and 3 Isa Browns. Now I have to build a bigger coop as she wants more birds
big_smile.png
to go along with the dogs and cats. It is like her own little zoo
lau.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I started with about 5 hens - I now have 9 with 2 little chickies hatched last week with another batch of eggs due to hatch this Friday.

As your mum has learned, they are addictive!

From what I've read baycox doesn't treat all strains of cocci. Amprolium does. I would only treat with one wormer. When you treat with amprolium you start with the stated dosage for 5-7 days then halve the dosage for a further 5-7 days, then halve it again for yet another 5-7 days. This messes with the thiamine levels and slowly starves the coccidia. Best not to administer other drugs while treating for cocci. Go back to the links I gave you to compare the poop pics.
Honestly if you are going to keep chickens , you need to have amprolium 200 in your first aid box. Cocci is one of the more preventable fatal diseases that chickens will more than likely suffer. If you have sparrows or wild birds visiting your property, then you are susceptible to cocci.

Thanks Fancychooklady. Can you get amprolium from any produce store? I did look at the poop pics (it's bookmarked now lol), and I thought it looks like it could be one of the "normal" ones with intestinal lining sheds? But I wasn't sure.

Anything else I should include in my first aid box, while I go shopping?

PS I read somewhere else that you shouldn't give anything that is high in vitamin B1 (including egg yolk) while they're on Cocci meds, do you know anything about this? I've been feeding mine scrambled egg the past few days to get their weight up.

Thanks Fancychooklady. Can you get amprolium from any produce store? I did look at the poop pics (it's bookmarked now lol), and I thought it looks like it could be one of the "normal" ones with intestinal lining sheds? But I wasn't sure.

Anything else I should include in my first aid box, while I go shopping?

The pics are a little dark on my iPad. You can take a sample to the vet and get it tested for cocci levels. I buy online at ' little valley poultry supplies '
Terramycin antibiotic spray is a must as well as vet wrap, syringes, antiseptic .... The list goes on and on.....
Eggs aren't even on the top 10 thiamine B1 foods. They are high in protein though. When treating for cocci it's important to take them off medicated feed.

Hi All,

New to the forums here i'm from Sydney. My mum was asking for months about getting some chickens so I got her a Coop and 3 Isa Browns. Now I have to build a bigger coop as she wants more birds :D  to go along with the dogs and cats. It is like her own little zoo :lau

:welcome I started with 9 hens 7 years ago... won't mention how many I have now :eek:

Back
Top Bottom