Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning
frow.gif

Appps I would love to go to a chicken auction/show but I worry about bringing something ‘nasty’ home to my gals in the form of unwanted germs; even without buying a chicken.

I note that Fancy mentions you would still need to quarantine any new birds but does anyone think my concerns are warranted or not?

CJ88 that little dust-bather is so cute!

K Spot sorry to read about your cracked egg
sad.png

Howdy AussieChics and
welcome-byc.gif

My work requires that I am in front of the computer all day but if the work day is slow you can guarantee I am stalking BYC!
wink.png

Fancy I hope your day goes well!

No news of note from here; everyone appears happy and healthy ..... time to get this Friday work day done and dusted!

No doubt I will be back! Fridays are always quiet
caf.gif

Last edited:
It's not much different to looking at them at your local show (like the smaller versions or royal Easter show). They are all caged and you just wander round looking at them in cages. You aren't touching them or the cages or walking in poop so I'm thinking not much chance of catching anything. I wouldn't wear my coop shoes of course just in case someone else there is wearing there's. I'm not too worried on that side of things.

I would want a very good quarantine set up if I bought anything but then it's no more risk than any new bird you bring to your flock. Who know what they recently added to theirs. They all need quarantine. Personally couldn't face that again lol so I'm sticking with hatching :). But if you were starting out its a good way to see birds for real rather than photos and maybe find out contact details for eggs of any breeder who's look particularly good.

Good morning :frow

Appps I would love to go to a chicken auction/show but I worry about bringing something ‘nasty’ home to my gals in the form of unwanted germs; even without buying a chicken.

I note that Fancy mentions you would still need to quarantine any new birds but does anyone think my concerns are warranted or not?  

CJ88 that little dust-bather is so cute!

K Spot sorry to read about your cracked egg :(

Howdy AussieChics and :welcome

My work requires that I am in front of the computer all day but if the work day is slow you can guarantee I am stalking BYC! ;)

Fancy I hope your day goes well!

No news of note from here; everyone appears happy and healthy ..... time to get this Friday work day done and dusted!

No doubt I will be back! Fridays are always quiet :caf  

Your concerns are completely legitimate . Shoes and clothing carry disease from one place to another. Even though the judges wear white coats when appraising the birds at shows , rarely do you see them wash their hands. Ideally they should wash their hands between bids.
My girlfriend is the president of our local show ground where once a month they have a poultry sale. I've suggested that the cages be sterilized between sales cause I have seen some very sickly birds there. As yet my suggestion has fallen on deaf ears. Oh well I'll just keep wearing her down.

Funny story , just had to share with you guys. So the photographer came this morning and apart from house and garden shots he particularly wanted chook shots. So I direct him to my.just hatched silkies. He say " what are they ?" I say " Chinese silkies " . " oh my god , but they like don't lay eggs , do they ?" He says
Of course they do I say , kicking the empty eggshells on the ground. " oh yeah with chickens in them but not for eating , " he says. City slickers ! :smack
Btw he was Asian . Lovely looking boy , paid a little too much attention to the eldest daughter though.

Your concerns are completely legitimate . Shoes and clothing carry disease from one place to another. Even though the judges wear white coats when appraising the birds at shows , rarely do you see them wash their hands. Ideally they should wash their hands between bids.
My girlfriend is the president of our local show ground where once a month they have a poultry sale. I've suggested that the cages be sterilized between sales cause I have seen some very sickly birds there. As yet my suggestion has fallen on deaf ears. Oh well I'll just keep wearing her down.

I thought that would have been a standard practice to sterilize cages...:eek: Scarey that they don't.

Funny story , just had to share with you guys. So the photographer came this morning and apart from house and garden shots he particularly wanted chook shots. So I direct him to my.just hatched silkies. He say " what are they ?" I say " Chinese silkies " . " oh my god , but they like don't lay eggs , do they ?" He says
Of course they do I say , kicking the empty eggshells on the ground. " oh yeah with chickens in them but not for eating , " he says. City slickers !
smack.gif

Btw he was Asian . Lovely looking boy , paid a little too much attention to the eldest daughter though.
hasn't he heard of "BlackChicken"?

Of course they do I say , kicking the empty eggshells on the ground. " oh yeah with chickens in them but not for eating , " he says. City slickers ! :smack

Well there goes that theory. I had tried to convince myself us Aussies were immune from chicken stupidity :)

Wow .. that is scary that cages are not sterilized!

Thanks for the advice peeps! I am going to stick to looking at chicken pictures
wink.png
A bit ironic that after I asked that question, it seemed to be the topic of discussion on the Silkie thread also; some scary stories floating around.

Fancy funny story! Had a good chuckle at “paid too much attention to the eldest daughter though”; he was interested in chickens and chicky-babes
wink.png

That is interesting about the cages not being sterilised. There is a little poultry market at my local feed store tomorrow and I was thinking of going just for a look. Although people will be expected to bring their own cages, I was wondering about Mareks shedding & how likely it is to get on me just from being near cages, if any birds are carriers. It seems to be a fine line to walk between feeling paranoid and just being careful.

I'm glad your shoot went well Fancy & so funny about the silky eggs.
big_smile.png

I've been to rare breeds shows. I don't wear my ' city clothes in the pens and I have my ' chicken shoes ' that are just that. So long as you change clothes and don't wear your town shoes in the pens you will be fine to go have a sticky beak.

Back
Top Bottom