Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Yup, egg shell or oyster shell is a poor substitute for grit. The gizzard is actually pretty strong, and needs something hard to grind up the food with. Egg shells disintegrate within seconds in there. Something resembling sand in different sizes is your best bet. Or if you have some sandy dirt somewhere, that works too.

Like Fancy said, if they cut the grass themselves, you need not worry about crop impact. It's the stuff you cut up yourself that might cause problems. I've given the birds grass cuttings without issues though.

Some people can get away with it and I did for some time , then I lost my lovely BLRW pullet after I'd hand picked lush green grass for her. :rolleyes:
It all comes down to soluable and non soluable grit, eggshells fall under the heading ' soluable ' she'll grit is insoluable , ie not absorbed by the body.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here with nothing to add for a while, so sorry if I've missed anything of importance to any of you.

However, I can now officially tell you that WE HAVE EGGS!!!!! After all this time, two of my girls have started laying ... nice brown eggies, with hard shells, not overly large of course, but oh my goodness can you tell I'm excited
celebrate.gif
now I can say I have laying chooks
thumbsup.gif
I wanted to thank you all for your support, guidance and friendship while waiting for this to occur, now I feel I should be able to post a little more (still not much as I'm very new to chooks and am learning from you all with your posts, learning so much that often I forgot to post myself).

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here with nothing to add for a while, so sorry if I've missed anything of importance to any of you.

However, I can now officially tell you that WE HAVE EGGS!!!!!  After all this time, two of my girls have started laying ... nice brown eggies, with hard shells, not overly large of course, but oh my goodness can you tell I'm excited :celebrate  now I can say I have laying chooks :thumbsup   I wanted to thank you all for your support, guidance and friendship while waiting for this to occur, now I feel I should be able to post a little more (still not much as I'm very new to chooks and am learning from you all with your posts, learning so much that often I forgot to post myself).

:weee there's nothing quite so satisfying as eating your own fresh grown eggs. Enjoy !

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I have given the girls the mower clippings but not when the lawn has been long; mainly just in the dryer months when the lawn just needs a ‘token’ clip.

Nu2chooks15 woot woot and a huge CONGRATULATIONS!
celebrate.gif

OK, I am not going to wish any more rain on myself but I am better prepared for when it happens. The permanent and temporary (soon to be permanent) run now have a rain coat; OK, I will not be able to stop the run off but we will now not be adding to it with water from above.

When we were carrying out the renovations yesterday, the big gals lost their favourite perching spot and the littlies lost there little perch altogether; this has been fixed up this morning.

After a day and a half of mucking them around and moving stuff, I am now just going to leave them in peace to enjoy!

I have a garden shed to clean out
hide.gif

Lol it's got loads of pic 100 yrs history and exhibition stuff.

I'm also not an enthusiast but thought of others that might be
I am a Wyandotte person I REALLY like the breed for their looks and disposition. HOWEVER, given the / any opportunity I just can't resist a Spike Milligan, Monty Python, Goons sorta comment.

Sadly they mostly fall flat as the printed word often fails to convey all the essential non-verbal attached to the quick fire back.

Still, I keep myself amused, and posting my sillies here beats sitting in the corner wearing my tin foil hat, gently rocking to and fro bumbling phrases from all my favourite comedy shows........

hide.gif
wee.gif
lau.gif
, =
old.gif

Thanks for all the replies! I feel much more comfortable with it all now.

In other news: Willy is broody...and nasty about it. I will have to shift her tonight as she is currently blocking access to the other boxes. She even attacked the rooster when he went over to see what the problem was!

I just moved her and settled her in the chick cage which is still in the coop. She wasn't impressed but got over it once I backed off. I am worried she has too many eggs though...they are not all under her... do i remove some so she can concentrate on the others, move them all closer together, or just leave be?
It is only Day 1 of her incubating them.

I am a Wyandotte person I REALLY like the breed for their looks and disposition. HOWEVER, given the / any opportunity I just can't resist a Spike Milligan, Monty Python, Goons sorta comment.

Sadly they mostly fall flat as the printed word often fails to convey all the essential non-verbal attached to the quick fire back.

Still, I keep myself amused, and posting my sillies here beats sitting in the corner wearing my tin foil hat,  gently rocking to and fro bumbling phrases from all my favourite comedy shows........

:oops: ,  :weee ,  :lau ,     = :old

LoL oh I had a laugh. But thought only to explain a bit too
1f44d.png
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom