Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

*big sigh* yeah. I know. I didn't know roosters did passive aggressive but that's how its been...was just outside with my daughter, he didn't even look at her but there was lots of body language for me

Kleonpatra ... just opening up a conversation here.

I am by no means anywhere NEAR expert with chickens ... but I do know about animal ( entires ) behaviour. .... and there's not much difference across all species, when it comes to competitiveness, or protection in order to procreate.

I gather from your remarks, that your roo is or has been, in with one particular black hen ?? re : ( " i adore my one black chookie and I'd love to see her surrounded by fuzzy butts." ) If she has been squatting for you ( any time for you or any of your children - who must be kept away from rooster ) .... then he would see that as a HUGE challenge, to his [ incoming ] maturity to cover / mount. I know the entire male of any species is very aggressive when 'on the scent' - in order to pass on HIS and his only, genes to further a flock, herd or band.

I agree with appps, .... head chicken thing. .... and if she is squatting for you, then she ( he thinks ) prefers you. ... He is trying to mark his territory - as is his right.

I think you have to come to some peace within yourself - ( and only you know and can do this ) ... as to whether you want him because he's been with you a long time, or an Australorp which you obviously would prefer. On the other hand, an Australorp roo might well display the same tendencies, if 'black chookie' prefers your perceived 'advances' to his. !!

I have no idea how many chickens you have overall, and how their coops, runs and free range is arranged. My only suggestion is that you isolate your chicken(s) / rooster from everything else with some more wiring --- clip ALL wings including his ( after moults ??? has she / he / they all finished moulting ? ) ... and thereby stopping any flying over fences to attack, particularly your children.

But that solves one problem only. .... You are way bigger than your rooster in size and HE KNOWS IT .... which is why I would suspect he is trying the 'passive' ways of blocking you, crowing at you. etc...

As for the postie ? ... seen as another intruder into his harem ( of 1 or more ? ) ... it is so very natural for the "male-capable", of any species to protect his flock. ... Personally, I would never 'crow' back at him - would be like red rag to a bull, even if you managed to remotely hit the right note !!!!
wink.png

And yes - as appps suggested - keep him ( or ANY rooster at full-on mating time ) away from your children ... just as you would not allow them near a bull in a paddock full of wanton cows, or a full-on stallion around mares coming into oestrus. .... Very dangerous stuff.

Good luck with your decisions.

Cheers ........

Has anyone had any experience with Guinea Fowl? Mine wasn't in the coop last night and hasn't come back since, he left for a night once but always returns for food. My Australorp rooster who he is always with is devo
sad.png

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with Guinea Fowl? Mine wasn't in the coop last night and hasn't come back since, he left for a night once but always returns for food. My Australorp rooster who he is always with is devo  :(

Hi Pugg, I don't have experience with guinea fowl (except my neighbours ones stealing my chooks food lol) but I do have a peahen which disappears sometimes for weeks on end before coming back. Are there any neighbours around you with guinea fowl? May possibly be just out looking for a mate. I know it's stressful when you can't see your pets to make sure they're safe but I'd give it a few days before worrying too much. As for your roo try distracting him a bit with his favourite foods or let him help you with some gardening. Hopefully your guinea fowl's ok and will be home soon.

So hubby just brought home a dozen duck eggs. No idea what to do with them. Have I read they are good for baking? They are pretty big, do I substitute for two chicken eggs?

So hubby just brought home a dozen duck eggs. No idea what to do with them. Have I read they are good for baking? They are pretty big, do I substitute for two chicken eggs?

Yes they're great for baking with, not so good on there own they lack the flavour of a chicken egg. I've always just used them normally regardless of size (one egg = one egg)

Baking is what I'd use them for. Or, you could put them in the incubator!!!!
big_smile.png
Just saying.

Baking is what I'd use them for.  Or, you could put them in the incubator!!!!   :D   Just saying.

Lol I actually said that but then common sense kicked in and I remembered I'd have to find homes for the darn things or they would be worst than the wild ones that get in our pool :)

Uggggg it’s early!
caf.gif

Up at 4am to see hubby off to the airport on his way up to Far North Queensland to spend a week with his Dad. I miss him already!

*chuckle* I am soooo tempted to race outside and wake up the girls … you know, “nag, nag, nag .. come on, it’s time you were up, get to it, where is my breakfast” like they do to me every morning
lau.gif

ChristieB I hope your little cracked one makes it!

Sorry to hear that your rooster is giving you concerns Kleonaptra.

appps As far as I know, I do not think I have ever eaten a duck egg.

Good luck with the hatch Sam.

I think Cilla might be going broody; again! Not this time munchkin .. today, for the first time ever, I think it is time I fashioned a true broody breaker crate. When the sun actually rises out there, it will be time to get to work on that little project
wink.png

I tried a few times last night, when it was dark, to move her from the coop floor and put her on the roost but she did not get the memo about chickens not moving around at night time and even at 08:30pm was jumping down and making her way to the blocked off nest box and trying to break in!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom