Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Kleonpatra

Will look forward to some pics of Regina and Lelouche ( unusual, great name - that ). ....

Not surprised about your Gina. ;)   Dogs mount one another ( females do it too ) to be dominant - it is not sexual ( unless needs be )   - it is just a show of dominance "I'm top dog" stuff.   Neutered dogs ( both genders ) do it.  ... No doubt everyone here has seen those performances !!!   So - Gina is being dominant ... !! - - -  that must be a bit of a laugh.   Certainly taught your drake a thing or three !! 

Was interested in your comment about 'myth information' - re stallions reacting to menstrual blood --- went rummaging around on the net - ( not that I didn't believe you - just was interested in any other ideas, arguments  and info ) ... and I agree with you - it is most likely the smell of just 'blood' that gets them into a bit of a tizz and certainly nothing to do with arousal.  ... a lot of animals are intrigued and / or  stimulated to strange behaviour by the mere smell of blood - but again, not for pro-creational reasons.   Just the smell is enough - and it can be upsetting to many species.  

Have been around horses most of my life, have ridden stallions - all of whom ( except one ) behaved impeccably.  However, two stallions did react badly - when I was in 'that time' of the month ( decades ago !! )  and they were safely ( for me ) on the other side of the fence / stall.   One in particular wanted to have a real go at me - attempting to bite, squealing, pawing etc.  ... in a right tizz he was. much to the concern of his owners  "He never does that ?"  - - -  I did not explain - and removed myself post haste - for his and their sake !!   ...

Must have just been the blood smell he picked up on, meaning nothing more than that..    

I think you might be right about it being men who conducted the study on all this though  :/  !!   

I agree 100% with you on that one Teila. I think it must be a universal thing. On the dominance thing too the sheep do it a lot. Bel mounts patsy quite often. Much better I guess than Tyson does. He head slams them in the chest to put them back in place.:eek: I have decided that sheep must have the toughest ribs ever.

A funny story from the other day. I have had my brother up here staying from Friday of last week til this Wednesday. He has a slight learning disability. Well one morning as I was putting the baby marans out of the grass he says. You are selling these marans. I say no these are for me to grow out. He says no you are selling them.. Back and forth this goes a few times. and he says don't you usually sell them I say yes but not these ones. He walks off in a huff saying your selling them... I'm like ok whatever. He went home Wednesday morning, Hubby drops him off back in brissy on his way to work. I open my messages and there is a message from a regular customer asking me if he can buy 7 marans. He had to sell his stock a while back due to poor health, I said I was keeping them this time but maybe next time. He then offers me more than I usually charge for 3 week olds cause he really wants some of my marans again.. So I decide I can't turn that offer down.... So my brother was right after all :lau

Last edited:
A funny story from the other day. I have had my brother up here staying from Friday of last week til this Wednesday. He has a slight learning disability. Well one morning as I was putting the baby marans out of the grass he says. You are selling these marans. I say no these are for me to grow out. He says no you are selling them.. Back and forth this goes a few times. and he says don't you usually sell them I say yes but not these ones. He walks off in a huff saying your selling them... I'm like ok whatever. He went home Wednesday morning, Hubby drops him off back in brissy on his way to work. I open my messages and there is a message from a regular customer asking me if he can buy 7 marans. He had to sell his stock a while back due to poor health, I said I was keeping them this time but maybe next time. He then offers me more than I usually charge for 3 week olds cause he really wants some of my marans again.. So I decide I can't turn that offer down.... So my brother was right after all :lau

Your brother sounds like a character. You should ask him to help you pick next weeks lotto numbers.
:D

Good morning all.

I've been MIA for a couple of days as my mum had carotid bypass surgery on Tuesday morning. She's doing great after the op and we hope she'll be home on the weekend.

Casanova is hanging in there. I've had to quickly learn how to crop feed though as he was not getting any fluid or food into him at all from the build up of thrush, causing him to become very underweight. I managed to get a small gauge tube from a vet, but it really only allows fluid and very watery food like diluted yogurt to be syringed down it. I'm doing the best I can to get some nutrition down into his crop.
I've tried asking other vets for bigger gauge tubing and also chemists if they stock urinary catheters, with no luck
sad.png
I did "acquire" some tubing from the hospital yesterday while visiting mum, but I think it may be too thick for him. I'll post a pic when I can to see what you guys think and whether or not it'll be too thick.

The thrush, however, seems to be breaking up. It's not like the thick white substance coating his throat like it was a few days ago, so hopefully he'll be able to take some solids on his own very soon.

@Ashburnham - congrats on your hatches!
love.gif

Good morning all.  

I've been MIA for a couple of days as my mum had carotid bypass surgery on Tuesday morning.  She's doing great after the op and we hope she'll be home on the weekend. 

Casanova is hanging in there.  I've had to quickly learn how to crop feed though as he was not getting any fluid or food into him at all from the build up of thrush, causing him to become very underweight.  I managed to get a small gauge tube from a vet, but it really only allows fluid and very watery food like diluted yogurt to be syringed down it.  I'm doing the best I can to get some nutrition down into his crop. 

I've tried asking other vets for bigger gauge tubing and also chemists if they stock urinary catheters, with no luck :(   I did "acquire" some tubing from the hospital yesterday while visiting mum, but I think it may be too thick for him.  I'll post a pic when I can to see what you guys think and whether or not it'll be too thick. 

The thrush, however, seems to be breaking up.  It's not like the thick white substance coating his throat like it was a few days ago, so hopefully he'll be able to take some solids on his own very soon.  

@Ashburnham
 - congrats on your hatches! :love

Hope your mum is back up and around for the weekend. :)
With the tube feeding , try poly aid plus. You only add a little water to make a sticky drizzle. It has all the vits and nutritional care for sick birds and it has probiotics. It's about $20 and I buy it from pet barn. What are you using for the thrush ?

http://www.thebirdcottage.com/s-poly-aidplus.asp

Last edited:
Hope your mum is back up and around for the weekend.
smile.png

With the tube feeding , try poly aid plus. You only add a little water to make a sticky drizzle. It has all the vits and nutritional care for sick birds and it has probiotics. It's about $20 and I buy it from pet barn. What are you using for the thrush ?

http://www.thebirdcottage.com/s-poly-aidplus.asp
Thanks Fancy
smile.png

I'm using Nystatin

Back
Top Bottom