Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Well hello, I do find when my signal is slow/weak this site shuts down on me.

You have missed some losses and some good advice and magnificent support. Somebody said they had eggs hatching on the weekend I think, but I didn't hear the outcome. I've been playing catch up a lot myself.

1000 posts? Well I hope you read fast because these guys can post faster than I can read sometimes.

How are you chooks going?

The chooks are all happy, thanks for asking.

I think they're finishing their moults now. Took them long enough... haven't had eggs in almost a month! (no problems, just having a break from laying... all at the same time)

Since no ones been broody I think the chooks have finally come to a mature decision together and now they all get along pretty well. No more unnecessary violation of the pecking order, it's peaceful now.
Hey maybe they should let chickens run the country, it might work out better? Haha.

Mabel's crop which felt firm last night emptied completely overnight. Totally made my day feeling that this morning. I will be kicking the mower in the guts today though, it's been too long. This weekend should also see more work on the coop, hopefully the frame for the roof. Can't wait till it's done though, then I won't have to let the out so early. It was really cold this morning, even with long pants and a jumper on :S

Still no egg from Bea yet, though I noticed Esme's super teeny weeny comb has gone through quite a growth spurt.She's about 7 or 8 months now, so that's a promising sign too that she might be getting ready to lay as well. I remember with Annabelle how quickly her comb grew before she started laying. Good signs all around here thankfully :D

Myhaven that was interesting reading, lots to be mindful of for sure.

Mabel's crop which felt firm last night emptied completely overnight. Totally made my day feeling that this morning. I will be kicking the mower in the guts today though, it's been too long. This weekend should also see more work on the coop, hopefully the frame for the roof. Can't wait till it's done though, then I won't have to let the out so early. It was really cold this morning, even with long pants and a jumper on :S

Still no egg from Bea yet, though I noticed Esme's super teeny weeny comb has gone through quite a growth spurt.She's about 7 or 8 months now, so that's a promising sign too that she might be getting ready to lay as well. I remember with Annabelle how quickly her comb grew before she started laying. Good signs all around here thankfully :D

Myhaven that was interesting reading, lots to be mindful of for sure.

That's good to hear, crop problems as with many chicken ailments can just be the tip of the iceberg.
Dr Rob is someone I have followed for sometime and have many of his articles bookmarked. His aproach is the overall health of the bird and is easy to follow. His approach to worms in poultry is something everyone should give some serious consideration. :)

http://www.birdhealth.com.au/#!worms/chcs

Has anyone managed to find the prazole tablet he mentions? Would be easier to get that in some of them as they refuse to drink the liquid wormer.

Has anyone managed to find the prazole tablet he mentions? Would be easier to get that in some of them as they refuse to drink the liquid wormer.

I'm assuming that the prazole are used to buffer the stomache against the acidic nature of the levamisole . He recommends both though.
You can get avitrol in tablet or syrup form and it contains levamisole and praziquantel . :)

You had me wondering with two more showing similar symptoms and behaviour and the "can they catch crop impaction from poo" question. So I consulted Dr Google who gave me this web page. http://www.birdhealth.com.au/#!crop--gizzard-impaction/c1gsp

While I knew crop impaction led to other problems I didn't realise how many. And all those mentioned by Fancy are listed in the web page.

As the web page talks about testing poo I would say that means yep that can catch the related problems from drinking contaminated water/poo.

My understanding of salmonella and other bacteria is yep they can be picked up through ingestion. Salmonella thrives in the intestine.

Salmonella is bacterial, anything bacterial is a no-no. Viruses run their course, bacteria stays the course and can increase.

Anyone who is interested - suggestion. Never allow your chickens, dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs or any other creature in your care - to ingest any form of diarrhoea, discharge, or other outpouring of nasties, or to be touched, gone near, smelled or tasted, by any other animal.

Common sense.

Salmonella is bacterial, anything bacterial is a no-no.  Viruses run their course, bacteria stays the course and can increase.  

Anyone who is interested - suggestion.    Never allow your chickens, dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs or any other creature in your care - to ingest any form of diarrhoea, discharge, or other outpouring of nasties, or to be touched, gone near, smelled or tasted,  by any other animal.   

Common sense. 

Unfortunately chickens are ground feeders and yep, they eat poop too. Seemingly healthy birds can carry salmonella , so it's best to treat all poultry with caution. Wash hands and eggs before eating, keep nest boxes clean and routinely clean feeders and water dishes. We have a strict ' shoes off ' policy here in the house and special coop shoes . I cringe when I see pics of chickens living inside, pooping everywhere . Hygiene is essential to health.

Mabel's crop felt quite firm and I caught her eating some bits of straw that had been strewn about on the grass. Fingers crossed it's empty in the morning. I don't want her to have any problems.

Fizzybelle .... of my 3 girls, only one has a seriously hard crop at night ( most times ) .... and it is gone by the morning. That's Mindy Araucana, who is feisty and full on - so it doesn't surprise me that she gormandises before bed, poops like there is no tomorrow overnight, and is empty the next day. .... at which time she starts all over again. Very regulated is Mindy.

On the other hand, Mandy Welsummer never has a full crop - if anything it is ultra soft before bed-time. But she is large,and I know she eats her fair share. Very difficult to catch her with a full crop. ??

Molly RIR - is somewhere in between. ???
roll.png

I think they have their own little metabolisms, and to each her own. Mindy never eats straw that I know of, the other two big girls do peck at it from time to time.

Cheers ...... ( and don't worry about large full crops, unless it remains that way for a long time - is my advice ).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom