Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Just checking in here to sit quietly and learn as much as I can. I may be a "backyard flock keeper" for the moment, but want to learn and develop so I can help promote the breed with good stock here in nova Scotia. Great to see some pics to show what I should be looking for!

Just checking in here to sit quietly and learn as much as I can. I may be a "backyard flock keeper" for the moment, but want to learn and develop so I can help promote the breed with good stock here in nova Scotia. Great to see some pics to show what I should be looking for!
Welcome!

Make sure to click on subscribe ant the bottom of this posts.

Australorps are both heat and cold hardy. They have straight combs but are not the biggest. @hellbender keeps them in a fairly cold place.

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on the differences between the Australian standard and the one we follow here in North America. How do you feel about trying to "get back" to the Australian profile? And would that mean reintroducing some black Orpington for tail set?

We have a well established American Standard for Australorps. I see no reason to change it.

I have already posted these pictures I believe but I will post it again for all that didn't see it before.

Matt
Thanks Matt! They are nice.

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on the differences between the Australian standard and the one we follow here in North America. How do you feel about trying to "get back" to the Australian profile? And would that mean reintroducing some black Orpington for tail set?
We should work on getting Australorps up to our Standards. A Standard change project would be a tough one since a lot has to happen to accomplish a change in Standard.

welcome-byc.gif

It is great to have you here!

The Australian Australorps are very nice and I hope to see more pictures and discussion about the Standard differences.

These are my breeders. I aquired these in the fall and this is my first year breeding. The Roo is a little under weight at the moment, because he's a gentleman and lets the girls eat first. Comments please.
Have you tried worming him? His drop in weight may not be from lack of feed. As for his shape, it looks pretty good. The last hen looks pretty good. The other hens look like they have flat back and wierd angles to their tails, but that may be the lighting and angles of the photos. Straight profiles like Matt posted are better for seeing shape.

G'day Morgan,
numbers of you folks have a copy of our SOP thanks to Ross sending copies of our BA 'bible', but I have little idea of your SOP and would love to know how they differ. Good idea to start the thread, Ron. I'll still check in to the other thread as I reckon it's important to encourage all keepers of the breed. They're all potential 'serious breeders'.
Cheers Geoff

G'day Morgan,
numbers of you folks have a copy of our SOP thanks to Ross sending copies of our BA 'bible', but I have little idea of your SOP and would love to know how they differ. Good idea to start the thread, Ron. I'll still check in to the other thread as I reckon it's important to encourage all keepers of the breed. They're all potential 'serious breeders'.
Cheers Geoff

HI Geoff!

Welcome to the new thread!

Back
Top Bottom