Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Hi Turk,
So difficult trying to find some girls to add to my flock.....Maybe I should start breeding....hmmmmmmmm food for thought! Thanks for the reply.. Have a great weekend. enjoy the sunshine!! Helen

Greetings
smile.png

Is there someone in the South or Southeast that is breeding towards the standard, selecting for meat/growthiness and broody behavior?

Thanks,
M

Greetings
smile.png

Is there someone in the South or Southeast that is breeding towards the standard, selecting for meat/growthiness and broody behavior?

Thanks,
M

Hi and welcome!

That is a great question. I hope someone can help you find someone.

Hi all, I too am looking for a breeder. I live in New England, Ct. I travel down to Va. often to see parents and sister. Anyone out there that would like to sell a pullet or two...:) Perhaps the gentleman from Australia might trust me with some of his eggs if we can figure a way to get them here! Hopeful in Ct. Helen

Quote:
Oh no, I was counting on YOU for an answer, lol!
If it matters to anyone reading~ I am interested in a couple of typey ladies that would brood for me and be a nice introduction to the breed. Close to POL but ideally an older gal that has successfully brooded before and is perhaps being "retired". No big hurry just hoping to start a dialogue as the wheels begin moving on our move.

M

Oh no, I was counting on YOU for an answer, lol!
If it matters to anyone reading~ I am interested in a couple of typey ladies that would brood for me and be a nice introduction to the breed.  Close to POL but ideally an older gal that has successfully brooded before and is perhaps being "retired".  No big hurry just hoping to start a dialogue as the wheels begin moving on our move.

M

Are you looking for show birds?

Matt

Quote:
No. Showing is interesting but not where I am right now.
I would want the size/breadth, silhouette and broodiness. Broodiness is a biggie. Good vigor, feather quality and temperament I might assume goes without saying. Combs, clean faces, eye color, leg color even feather color to some degree, are much less important.
No cock bird~ I'm mainly interested in trying the breed on for size, see if they mesh with my ideas and reality, experience broody behavior with some inexpensive hatching eggs, etc. Trios or pairs could come later.

M

No. Showing is interesting but not where I am right now.
I would want the size/breadth, silhouette and broodiness. Broodiness is a biggie. Good vigor, feather quality and temperament I might assume goes without saying. Combs, clean faces, eye color, leg color even feather color to some degree, are much less important.
No cock bird~ I'm mainly interested in trying the breed on for size, see if they mesh with my ideas and reality, experience broody behavior with some inexpensive hatching eggs, etc. Trios or pairs could come later.

M

Well, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but this section of BYC is for Standard Bred and Show Birds. You may want to look in the General Breed Discussion section for lesser birds. I'm sure there is an Australorp thread over there that would serve you better.

Matt

Quote:
I welcome the advice. It was my understanding that all breeders have culls for certain reasons, and that they often sell these culls. I was attempting to remain open to all possibilities in the hopes of finding overall good genetics, with the understanding that I simply don't have the experience to fully appreciate exhibition stock. I see I was wrong, perhaps I should not be so generous with my expectations. Either way I think I will heed the direction to the other thread.

Thanks for the reply
smile.png

M

Well, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but this section of BYC is for Standard Bred and Show Birds. You may want to look in the General Breed Discussion section for lesser birds. I'm sure there is an Australorp thread over there that would serve you better.

Matt

I welcome the advice. It was my understanding that all breeders have culls for certain reasons, and that they often sell these culls. I was attempting to remain open to all possibilities in the hopes of finding overall good genetics, with the understanding that I simply don't have the experience to fully appreciate exhibition stock. I see I was wrong, perhaps I should not be so generous with my expectations. Either way I think I will heed the direction to the other thread.

Thanks for the reply
smile.png

M
There is a big difference in size, so you would want breeder stock for production too. Once you get them you might consider showing them. You could also help some FFA or 4-H kids if you decided to breed them.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom