Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
About mites I know this is off-track regarding SOP but it's so important). We use white, food-grade, diatomaceous earth (DE) to prevent mites and it's worked since 2008. The 'diatom' is a mineral dessicant which makes the environment unsuitable for mites. It is safe to use in dust-bathing, and should be applied where mites make nests- overhead, on beams, in lofts, in cracks and any hole that goes behind a wall panel, under the ends of roosts. It's so effective that many new hotels use it behind wall and ceiling panels which can be unscrewed to check for bed bugs. We buy it in 50 lb bags for three coops in our barn and that bag lasts us a year. Not only that but when you dispose of bedding or droppings, flies avoid it in your dump pits. You will see few flies in your coops too. We dust above the birds in the loft, on every platform/roost, in bedding and add it to any dust bathing hole they dig. Be caeful to avoid the gray food-grade DE, though, it's contaminated with bentonite clay and the bids hate it- they can't groom and it must taste awful. The white stuff, though, is precious, and does not affect eggs or meat the way insecticides can. In Canada a 50 lb bag may be $35 to $72, cheaper in the west, the difference is in shipping costs.

About mites I know this is off-track regarding SOP but it's so important). We use white, food-grade, diatomaceous earth (DE) to prevent mites and it's worked since 2008. The 'diatom' is a mineral dessicant which makes the environment unsuitable for mites. It is safe to use in dust-bathing, and should be applied where mites make nests- overhead, on beams, in lofts, in cracks and any hole that goes behind a wall panel, under the ends of roosts. It's so effective that many new hotels use it behind wall and ceiling panels which can be unscrewed to check for bed bugs. We buy it in 50 lb bags for three coops in our barn and that bag lasts us a year. Not only that but when you dispose of bedding or droppings, flies avoid it in your dump pits. You will see few flies in your coops too. We dust above the birds in the loft, on every platform/roost, in bedding and add it to any dust bathing hole they dig. Be caeful to avoid the gray food-grade DE, though, it's contaminated with bentonite clay and the bids hate it- they can't groom and it must taste awful. The white stuff, though, is precious, and does not affect eggs or meat the way insecticides can. In Canada a 50 lb bag may be $35 to $72, cheaper in the west, the difference is in shipping costs.

Folks, please talk to lots of people before spending your money on DE. There are many opinions on it from good to terrible. I have used it and in my mind it is not effective and completely useless. I can direct you to many, many other people that feel the same. It is very popular amongst the "Organic" or "All Natural" crowd and basically unheard of in the people that aren't of the mind set. I'm not trying to convince you to believe what I do...I'm just saying do your research before you spend your money.

Matt

I am sorry, Matt, but I am about sustainable living, and not part of the exclusively organic crowd. If the DE is not working for you, check under your shingles on beams or in crevices you may have missed. My barn was built in 1970, so is not perfectly smooth and was used for several kinds of livestock in the past. I invite anyone who reads this and who can come to my barn to test for northern fowl mite, red mite or quill mites. If you find any in my coops I will eat the DE myself. I want SOP Australorps, and yes they will be in coop condition some of the time but not because of mites. Gosh darn, Matt, no flies on me or on my chickens. I do worm these gorgeous birds once a year, rotating among Flubenvet and Ivermec, so none of those internal parasites getting hold, and no lice or fleas. I respect that you choose what to use, and ask that you do not judge me. That is all.

Thank you for posting!

Folks, please talk to lots of people before spending your money on DE. There are many opinions on it from good to terrible. I have used it and in my mind it is not effective and completely useless. I can direct you to many, many other people that feel the same. It is very popular amongst the "Organic" or "All Natural" crowd and basically unheard of in the people that aren't of the mind set. I'm not trying to convince you to believe what I do...I'm just saying do your research before you spend your money.

Matt
Thanks for positing too!

It is great to read about the different view points on raising poultry. Not every thing will work for everyone. My current thinking on DE is that it will slow them down but may not be able to control bad infestations. I do use it in my coops and find Food Grade DE to be a good supplement for boosting calcium.

Good discussion!

I am sorry, Matt, but I am about sustainable living, and not part of the exclusively organic crowd. If the DE is not working for you, check under your shingles on beams or in crevices you may have missed. My barn was built in 1970, so is not perfectly smooth and was used for several kinds of livestock in the past. I invite anyone who reads this and who can come to my barn to test for northern fowl mite, red mite or quill mites. If you find any in my coops I will eat the DE myself. I want SOP Australorps, and yes they will be in coop condition some of the time but not because of mites. Gosh darn, Matt, no flies on me or on my chickens. I do worm these gorgeous birds once a year, rotating among Flubenvet and Ivermec, so none of those internal parasites getting hold, and no lice or fleas. I respect that you choose what to use, and ask that you do not judge me. That is all.

I didn't judge you...as a matter of fact I didn't even refer to you in my statement. I also didn't say that you were part of any crowd and I pointed out that I was not trying to make anyone think the way I do....just simply look at all aspects before spending money. Whenever there is a product that has 2 stories...they both need to be told. DE is simply useless white powder to a large group of very educated poultry people and like I said everyone should know that there is that opinion so that they can listen to both sides and draw their own conclusion.

Matt

Folks, please talk to lots of people before spending your money on DE.  There are many opinions on it from good to terrible.  I have used it and in my mind it is not effective and completely useless.  I can direct you to many, many other people that feel the same.  It is very popular amongst the "Organic" or "All Natural" crowd and basically unheard of in the people that aren't of the mind set.  I'm not trying to convince you to believe what I do...I'm just saying do your research before you spend your money.

Matt

My experience has been similar to Matt's. It seems to be a decent preventative, but it's been useless for me against fleas, lice and mites. I do use it in combination with coffee grounds and neem oil in my gardening. And I feed my chickens a supplement that contains brewers yeast, garlic and DE. I think it's a good tool in an overall broader program. I do live in a very wet, hot environment and our bugs don't die in the winter. That usually means we have to be a little more aggressive and proactive with our pest control. The permethrin is very cost effective and is generally regarded as safe for birds and mammals. It also seems to have better "staying power" when I treat the coops to prevent lice from coming back. My birds are housed in small 4x4 mini houses rather than a large coop or barn. Unfortunately, that means infestations can take over very quickly if not controlled.

I notice that the three of you having a need for more than DE are in southern states. Of course I'm in the temperate zone and sometimes in winter we are -20C for a few weeks. I certainly concede that there are climate issues, I suspect you have a myriad of pests I don't have to plan for. But be thankful if you don't have black flies, keeping them out of coop space can be done I have had very good luck with DE in preventing them too.More about DE- I think another issue is using it sufficiently, every wet spot every day, for instance. Yes, I'm retired. :)

I notice that the three of you having a need for more than DE are in southern states.  Of course I'm in the temperate zone and sometimes in winter we are -20C for a few weeks.  I certainly concede that there are climate issues, I suspect you have a myriad of pests I don't have to plan for.  But be thankful if you don't have black flies, keeping them out of coop space can be done I have had very good luck with DE in preventing them too.More about DE- I think another issue is using it sufficiently, every wet spot every day, for instance.  Yes, I'm retired.  :)

I'm home, but I have a 3 year old and I'm pregnant. LOL Plus goats, a pig, horses and about 80+ chickens. I'm lucky if I have time to treat coops every couple weeks. It doesn't help that we've had heat indexes of 100+ and daily thunderstorms the last few weeks. It definitely makes pest control a little more tricky. We do get a lot of flies, but we use fly predators which help keep their numbers under control.

I notice that the three of you having a need for more than DE are in southern states. Of course I'm in the temperate zone and sometimes in winter we are -20C for a few weeks. I certainly concede that there are climate issues, I suspect you have a myriad of pests I don't have to plan for. But be thankful if you don't have black flies, keeping them out of coop space can be done I have had very good luck with DE in preventing them too.More about DE- I think another issue is using it sufficiently, every wet spot every day, for instance. Yes, I'm retired. :)
DE works here for much of the year--We are so dry that the State is one big tinderbox now. Our weather was odd this winter too. We had very little rain and were much warmer than normal. It was the warmest winter on record for California which caused the mites and lice to go crazy. Some lost chickens to Mites.

Kind of scary. We were very smokey on Saturday. The chickens did fine but sometimes the smoke will turn their combs black or they will get black tips on the combs.

Lynne, by all means...if it is working for you continue to use it. It just hasn't work for me and I have talked to many others that shared the same thoughts. It certainly could be the difference in our climates that makes the difference. I also don't know how many chickens you have but we are in the 500 range so our problems can be somewhat more complex than someone with significantly less birds.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom