Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

Quote:
Yes, it's the cheapest I found. But has anyone hooked it up to a solar panel? I already bought one from that site, figuring I'll work out the solar part after I receive it.

Thanks!
smile.png

Hey gang,
Nice Thread!

So those of you that have the add a motor D20 can you tell us the DC motor voltage of the transformer you plug into the wall for AC use?

I may be interested in this motor if it is 12 V DC or 24 V DC for battery/solar use.

IF..... I can not figure out how to make a circuit to switch voltage from + to - and reverse a motor on my own. (I have a great little DC motor, just can not figure out how to reverse the voltage after it hits a limit switch.)

Thanks for any and all help..
big_smile.png

ON

Hi ON, I haven't installed mine yet, but it's 12VDC

Happy Coop'n

My thinking of making it open is some what of the feeder deign that they stand on.
At the top have strong magnets to hold the door open. a magnet on both the door and wall. no bateries or electrical for this.

(Disclaimerr, If you use my idea send me $$$ and give me cedit for the idea)
tongue2.gif

Thanks green eggs and ham!... Good to know.
Right know I am thinking of making my own reversing circuit since I have a very high end DC motor and switches. Looks like I only need the DC dusk to dawn sensor and a couple of 5 pin relays and some diodes. Even this old electronics technician might be able to figure it out...
wink.png

Dingleberry,
Interesting idea for a open only door. I do not see it working for a close only door as the first bird to step on the trigger will close the door. Know use your idea and have a electo magnet hooked up to energize/deenergize with a timer or dusk to dawn sensor and I think it could work.

Sun rises and electro magnet is energized, chicken steps on trigger and raises door magnet holds door open all day, at dusk the sensor cuts power to magnet and the door closes. In the AM process repeats..
Totally automatic, no motor, but does require an electromagnet and power.

ON

Last edited:
A readily available electromagnet is the solenoid from an automatic sprinkler valve. Although it is 24V A/C. I made a Halloween prop that used a sprinkler valve, and a 12V A/C wall wart worked fine to activate the solenoid. YMMV.

Ron

Hi, Coopies: I'm through wasting time on my $200 Pullet Shut door. I've had nothing but trouble since I ordered it. Couldn't get it shipped when it was promised; the guy charged me shipping when it states on his website that shipping to 48 contiguous states is included; and now the darned thing will not operate correctly no matter how many times I swipe the little magnet over the red dot! I know it's worked well for Nifty, but I just can't get mine to work. The door has a great design and is very well made. Wish it would do the trick for me.

I still have the original wooden door that my husband made when building my coop. It slides up and down in a channel. I found the Add-A-Motor D20 mentioned on this thread and think it will work for me. But, I have a question for the left-brainers here. When setting up the door mentioned above that didn't work out, I had to buy a 12volt DC battery to connect to the wires the Pullet Shut door came with because I don't have electricity at my coop. Here's a picture of the battery I bought. Can I make this battery work with the D20? If so, how? I think I'll need to replace the AC plug the D20 comes with and add a timer to it, right?

I'm very inept with electronics and my husband is sick of working on my coop. If you feel the urge to reply to this post, please use remedial language!

Thanks for the help! Love this thread.
Carol

BWKatz, thanks for the reply. I'm specifically looking for someone to do a step-by-step with me with regard to using the D20 from Add-A-Motor and the batter I already have. Last year I tried to get my husband to build the opener you sent in that link and it was a major catastrophe. Looking for simple, simple, simple.
Thanks, Carol

Quote:
I had that motor in my list too. U should be able to plug it into the timer and the timer into the battery. That motor is AC/DC. I would go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a lamp timer and ask them how to connect to battery. U may have to take battery to store too. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Is Perspex predator safe? How thick? I wanted to use to get a good slide but thought it would be too light and easy to break.
Please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom