Automatic chicken coop door opener and closer

l'abeille

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice and reviews of automatic door opener/closers. I am not interested in DIY--I want something pre-fab I can just install.

Can anyone comment on a prefab door they like? I've read a lot about the one from Foy's on this forum, but I don't want a battery operated one since we have electricity at the coop. Has anyone used the McMurray one? I like the light sensor feature of both of those models.

Thanks for any feedback on your pre-fab auto doors!

I really like my pulletshut door from chickendoors .com. It's pricey at $225 ( incl the trickle charger and 12 v battery) but just needs installation with no tinkering. I am not handy so it works well for us, and it's great that I can sleep in and take vacations without having someone to come in twice a day. My neighbor just checks in once a day to collect eggs and check the water.Good luck.

Here is what I did and working perfectly. Simple track made from 1" x 3" soft wood. Old street sign which is 1/8 " aluminum, which I cut down to width I needed then slide in the groove I created with the track setup. Attached an add-a-motor($99.00) and plugged it into an old christmas light timer I had. Plugged the timer into outlet and set for am and pm activation. Slides up and down slowly and works like a dream. The girls stand in line waiting for it to open. It's seriously funny to watch them haul butt out when it opens. Like watching a group of women waiting for Wally World to open on sale days. Killer Hope theis helps all who are thinking about going automatic. For me it was the only way to go.

Oh, sorry forgot to include the photos. Here thay are.
Erik

69010_door_motor-1.jpg

69010_door_motor-3.jpg

thanks for the photos and explanation--just curious though about which street sign you chose. I'm guessing it was "do not enter"?
lol.png
lol.png

Hey guys. No it actually was a one way sign my 22 year old stole years ago. I guess one way won't work with Hens. They come and go....at will ......don't they. Thanks for the look at thread.
erik

Back
Top Bottom