Automatic opener for flap door?

nursesusanb

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Maine
My coop door opens up and out. I noticed most of the automatic doors are for sliding doors. Do they make one for a trap door?

I really can't answer your question but with your set-up, it looks like with a easy modification you could make a guillotine type pop door on the inside.

That's how my door opens and a friend was saying you can make one with a car wiper blade motor. That would make my life wonderful along with a solar powered shed light with a timer!

I'm actually in the middle of making one from a automatic car antenna, I just ordered it from eBay for 23$. And installed the slides on the door today

This can be done but it would be a more complex setup - not impossible if you're a handy person. If you built that coop, I'd imagine you could put something together. What I picture would still use the radio antenna setup, with the antenna mounted above the door, but would require the addition of an extension bracket for the antenna to connect to, and mounting the antenna housing on a hinge so that it can pivot and remain in plane with the extension bracket on the door.

Here's a hand-drawn concept of something that would work.

In this drawing the antenna is mounted to the hinge, with the hinge in the extended position, and the antenna retracted.

In this picture the door is open. As the antenna extends, it pushes on the bracket attached to the door - and the only way the bracket can get farther from the antenna housing is to pivot downward, opening the chicken door. The antenna housing on the hinge pivots down to stay in alignment with the antenna's mounting point on the bracket.

I think you could create a setup with the antenna mounted to the floor or even to the side of the door, with the antenna mounted directly to the door and pushing it outward, but that would expose the antenna itself to a run-in with a chicken and leaves the possibility of it being bent if somebody tries to perch on it, since I can't really imagine a setup with the antenna enclosed.

Sorry if this sounds complex. I'd create a google Sketch-Up of it if I wasn't at work - and if I was better with Sketch-Up. :)

The coop is nicer and more finished than our house right now ;)

Thanks for the responses. I am looking to have something close the door for when I am running late. We have too many hungry critters here in Maine.

1. You could tie a string to the end of your antenna and use a pulley to guide the string into place so it would pull your door up.

2. But, yes, a linear actuator would also work just fine to open your door. IMHO, it is a bit more complicated because those require additional wiring, but the benefit of a linear actuator is that it locks the door shut.

3. Modifying your door to a sliding door would be super easy.

4. The antenna is probably plenty strong to lift your door, if you simply wanted to forgoe the string and mount it directly to the door (if your door is real heavy, you might want to replace it with a lighter door, though).

Excuse my drawing, but here is my thought on using an antenna, string and a pulley (You could easily hide the antenna inside and drill a hole).

That's what this guy did (used antenna and string and drilled a hole)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom