Aviary size

Wild1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Hi and good morning,

I am building an extension to my existing aviary and it will house pheasants, partidges and quail. There will also be song birds.
The current aviary is 12 meters long 4 meters wide and 3 meters high. I now want to expand this so the question is.
Which is better?
Meaning more square or longer.
I can add an additional length to make the overall length 30 meters and remain 4 meters wide. Or I can come off the side and make it 8 meters wide and remain the 12 meters long.
I am thinking longer so that there is greater distance between pheasants.
Currently I have golden and Ring neck together and they are ok but I want to add Lady Amherst.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9739.jpeg
    IMG_9739.jpeg
    904.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9738.jpeg
    IMG_9738.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9737.jpeg
    IMG_9737.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 21
Nice facilities! I have kept Bobwhites in flight pens in the past and have found that longer is better than wider. Game birds love to fly. Love your design!

Brilliant many thanks for the response, I was getting worried I had asked a dumb question.
So far we have a pair of golden pheasants, one solitary chukar and a pair of ring necks all in the current pen. All seem friendly enough during the non breeding time. The longer rather than wider version allows me to separate them more easily when the start to breed.
But during non breeding time they all get along.

You might put in some thick branches at the ends for them to roost on. Maybe even a brush pile in the middle. The Chukars will love to linger around in the brush piles to feel less exposed. Makes them feel less vulnerable to predators. :)

Although it can be done, it isn't recommended to keep 3 or 4 separate species in one enclosure. You can easily make separate pens/enclosures for each of them....that way there is no need to disrupt them each spring...also, Goldens and Amherst can cross breed....and as such would need to be separated in November-December time frame, so as not to have them interbreed.
It has also been my experience with Ringnecked pheasants, they are way more aggressive than Goldens or Lady Amherst, and would more than likely kill the males of the Goldens and Amherst.

Back
Top Bottom