AYAM CEMANI - Pure Black chicken, inside and out!

Quote:
This is a fascinating discussion and I am learning a lot. I taught college Anatomy and Physiology for 25 years and blood is a connective tissue. The difference between blood and other connective tissue is blood has a liquid matrix, plasma, and other connective tissues have a solid matrix like bone or cartilage. In a normal living bird the only visible pigment in blood is hemoglobin which always red though the shade is effected by the level of oxygenation, oxygenated blood is bright red and deoxygenated is dark red. I suppose it would be possible for the blood to be dark all the time if the right genes were present in the bone marrow, where the blood is made, to add melanin during red blood cell production. .
I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of darkened blood. If it does occur it is extremely rare and only found in the most extreme black individuals. However, how many people are comparing blood samples?

Last edited:
I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of darkened blood. If it does occur it is extremely rare and only found in the most extreme black individuals.
However, how many people are comparing blood samples?
no amount of Fibromelanotic would produce black bood, so far no studies on them(including the one Tim provided for his 4 Fibromelanotic gene, which we all know the resolution of such dabate) show genes affecting blood color

no amount of Fibromelanotic would produce black bood, so far no studies on them(including the one Tim provided for his 4 Fibromelanotic gene, which we all know the resolution of such dabate) show genes affecting blood color

In Brian Reeder's book he mentions personally observing "considerable darkening of the blood" in the most extreme examples of fibromelanosis. He observed near black blood from Silkies as a child when they drew blood for typhoid/pullorum testing.
He also stated that such dark silikies don't seem to exist in the U.S. anymore.

When normal blood is drawn, it can look very dark in the vial. It wouldn't take much extra pigment to make it appear near black in the vial. It is conceivable, since blood is developmentally a connective tissue, that fibromelanosis could potentially be visible in the blood.

None of the studies, that I had read, mentioned studying the most extreme examples.

Last edited:
I recently bought two pairs from Green Fire Farms and I will let everyone know about them in next three months. Thanks

Quote:
so just anecdotal evidence? no proper studies on the matter
Yep, anectdotal. No proper studies to prove or exaustively disprove it that I could find. Has anyone scientifically described the very most extreme examples of fibromelanosis? If it does exist and is so rare, I would imagine someone would have to bring it to the attention of researchers to describe.

Ayam cemani have 2 variant and not always black inside-out side... If you mention ayam cemani price around
$2500/ each.. that's not the pure ones.. because the pure one in my country (Indonesia), it can reach $20.000/ chicken (grade 2).. that not include
Blood and tounge (which one the pure ones, all black without exception.. blood, eyes, skin.. etc it can reach $170.000/ chicken (grade 1).. But if you lucky, you can
Find cheap ones under $2500 (grade 3).. and it have special trick for treatment ayam cemani..

Ayam cemani have 2 variant and not always black inside-out side... If you mention ayam cemani price around
$2500/ each.. that's not the pure ones.. because the pure one in my country (Indonesia), it can reach $20.000/ chicken (grade 2).. that not include
Blood and tounge (which one the pure ones, all black without exception.. blood, eyes, skin.. etc it can reach $170.000/ chicken (grade 1).. But if you lucky, you can
Find cheap ones under $2500 (grade 3).. and it have special trick for treatment ayam cemani..

This is very interesting to hear from someone from Indonesia that they are not always black inside and out. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Back
Top Bottom