B Vitamin Dosage For Treating Wry Neck

CorvusTristis18

Chirping
May 24, 2018
Northern Sweden
I posted yesterday about a mild case of wry neck in my 1 week old duckling (only one suffering out of 13 ducklings). I bought the vitamin e and selenium mixture and a b vitamin complex. I can see that 180mg of vitamin E should be given daily, but does anyone have a reliable source for the B vitamin dosage?

I read 5mg per day as usual for ducks at all life stages. The bottle says 10ml for 100 chickens which is confusing.

I thought it would be easier to give the little one suffering the e vitamin and then dose everyone’s water with the b vitamins (since I already add nutritional yeast, I could stop doing this) and then they all receive the b vitamins in their water.

What are the recommended doses of b vitamins for healthy ducklings and for treating wry neck?

Attachments

• F575B78B-8C10-47FE-A7CE-D267DC9C82B6.png
    F575B78B-8C10-47FE-A7CE-D267DC9C82B6.png
    2 MB · Views: 101
I posted yesterday about a mild case of wry neck in my 1 week old duckling (only one suffering out of 13 ducklings). I bought the vitamin e and selenium mixture and a b vitamin complex. I can see that 180mg of vitamin E should be given daily, but does anyone have a reliable source for the B vitamin dosage?

I read 5mg per day as usual for ducks at all life stages. The bottle says 10ml for 100 chickens which is confusing.

I thought it would be easier to give the little one suffering the e vitamin and then dose everyone’s water with the b vitamins (since I already add nutritional yeast, I could stop doing this) and then they all receive the b vitamins in their water.

What are the recommended doses of b vitamins for healthy ducklings and for treating wry neck?
what B complex is it? For niacin deficiencies, I know for the "durvet" cattle injectable B complex, it's 1ml daily over a treat. But if it's another brand then I'm not sure.

what B complex is it? For niacin deficiencies, I know for the "durvet" cattle injectable B complex, it's 1ml daily over a treat. But if it's another brand then I'm not sure.
It’s in the picture, not sure how it compares per litre for the various b vitamins. I can look at the contents of the one you mention and compare and see if it’s close.

It’s in the picture, not sure how it compares per litre for the various b vitamins. I can look at the contents of the one you mention and compare and see if it’s close.
ah I see, it says 10ml for laying hens so I would have assumed it would be about the same for ducks- but before you do let me first @ruthhope as I'm not familiar with this vit B

ah I see, it says 10ml for laying hens so I would have assumed it would be about the same for ducks- but before you do let me first @ruthhope as I'm not familiar with this vit B
It’s a little weird, it says 10ml/100st which means pieces so translates to 100 hens really. I want to check the dosage because 10ml for 100 animals seems really low, but the /100st is confusing. I’ll know better if I can compare to another brand like the one you say requires 1ml.

It’s a little weird, it says 10ml/100st which means pieces so translates to 100 hens really. I want to check the dosage because 10ml for 100 animals seems really low, but the /100st is confusing. I’ll know better if I can compare to another brand like the one you say requires 1ml.
it does seem very low, but that is what it says so I'm not too sure

W
The dose to treat a duckling that is niacin deficient is:
  • 25mg, once a day, for ducklings 5-7 days old
  • 50mg, once a day, for ducklings 7-14 days old
  • 100mg, once a day, for ducklings older than 14 days
Durvet High level Vit B Complex contains 100 mg niacinamide per ml

So, you are looking at dosing with 1/4 ml at 5-7 days
1/2 ml at 7-14 days, and 1 ml after that.

The original question was what is the dose of Niacin for healthy ducks. Purina duck food contains 25mg per pound. That is the amount that ducks need on average for healthy growth. I just weighed a cup of duck pellets and its just under 6oz. So a cupful contains about 8 mg niacin.

Pekins often need more than that and many of us add additional brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast contains more niacin than brewer's yeast but I have not had problems adding 1tbspn brewer's yeast per cup duck pellets for pekin females. I don't add it to my pekin drakes' food. As its a supplement to food that already has niacin, I don't think the exact amount offered as a supplement to healthy ducks matters too much. The ducks kidneys excrete any niacin above their requirements

W

The dose to treat a duckling that is niacin deficient is:
  • 25mg, once a day, for ducklings 5-7 days old
  • 50mg, once a day, for ducklings 7-14 days old
  • 100mg, once a day, for ducklings older than 14 days
Durvet High level Vit B Complex contains 100 mg niacinamide per ml

So, you are looking at dosing with 1/4 ml at 5-7 days
1/2 ml at 7-14 days, and 1 ml after that.

The original question was what is the dose of Niacin for healthy ducks. Purina duck food contains 25mg per pound. That is the amount that ducks need on average for healthy growth. I just weighed a cup of duck pellets and its just under 6oz. So a cupful contains about 8 mg niacin.

Pekins often need more than that and many of us add additional brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast contains more niacin than brewer's yeast but I have not had problems adding 1tbspn brewer's yeast per cup duck pellets for pekin females. I don't add it to my pekin drakes' food. As its a supplement to food that already has niacin, I don't think the exact amount offered as a supplement to healthy ducks matters too much. The ducks kidneys excrete any niacin above their requirements
Aw thank you so much, researching it here now at work so I can start when I get home. It's so so frustrating that I cannot buy dedicated duck food and trying to view labels for purchasing alternatives online has been impossible.

Here I can only buy Hobby First Grani Mix which looks suitable from week 12. When they are big enough and fully feathered they will be out in our forest having a lovely natural diet of garden pests and all of the greens I grow for them. Until then they are at the mercy of chick feed that I'm having to supplement. IF we have some warm weather I will of course take them out into a safe space to begin their training!

All 13 ducklings are dashing around, chirping and jumping, and eating and drinking A LOT....makes me think that the chick crumb and nutritional yeast is not vitamin deficient. So I think the one with the mild wry neck (I say mild because their behaviour is normal and they can eaisly eat, drink and jump up onto the heat ceiling) is suffering because of a fall or shock of some kind maybe trampled by the group dashing around as they do. It started on day 7 out of nowhere and the only duckling to show this twist in their spine.

I started treatment last night with the Läntmannen products, but trying to find liquid capsules from the big town today as getting the 5ml required into the duckling was a struggle. I think a small capsule squeezed onto end of beak and adding the B vitamins to everyones feed and water will be more reliable. I felt awful deparating the little one to make sure only they drank the vitamin water, they were all huddled up against the net barrier trying to snuggle with the injured duck 😭

I will keep this updated for any future searches from others.

Aw thank you so much, researching it here now at work so I can start when I get home. It's so so frustrating that I cannot buy dedicated duck food and trying to view labels for purchasing alternatives online has been impossible.

Here I can only buy Hobby First Grani Mix which looks suitable from week 12. When they are big enough and fully feathered they will be out in our forest having a lovely natural diet of garden pests and all of the greens I grow for them. Until then they are at the mercy of chick feed that I'm having to supplement. IF we have some warm weather I will of course take them out into a safe space to begin their training!

All 13 ducklings are dashing around, chirping and jumping, and eating and drinking A LOT....makes me think that the chick crumb and nutritional yeast is not vitamin deficient. So I think the one with the mild wry neck (I say mild because their behaviour is normal and they can eaisly eat, drink and jump up onto the heat ceiling) is suffering because of a fall or shock of some kind maybe trampled by the group dashing around as they do. It started on day 7 out of nowhere and the only duckling to show this twist in their spine.

I started treatment last night with the Läntmannen products, but trying to find liquid capsules from the big town today as getting the 5ml required into the duckling was a struggle. I think a small capsule squeezed onto end of beak and adding the B vitamins to everyones feed and water will be more reliable. I felt awful deparating the little one to make sure only they drank the vitamin water, they were all huddled up against the net barrier trying to snuggle with the injured duck 😭

I will keep this updated for any future searches from others.
I don't think foraging and eating greens is going to be enough of a diet for them, they aren't like wild ducks, and they'll need a healthy nutritious diet for egg laying

Back
Top Bottom