B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Supposed to be SGD.
Quote: fertility isn't the issue for me, it's hatchability. about a third seem to quit around halfway thru. I'm thinking they may have the stumpy gene in them, which is lethal in homozygous form. that would explain the longer legs occasionally popping up too. (same gene that gives Japanese and scots dumpy their short legs)

fertility isn't the issue for me, it's hatchability. about a third seem to quit around halfway thru.  I'm thinking they may have the stumpy gene in them, which is lethal in homozygous form. that would explain the longer legs occasionally popping up too. (same gene that gives Japanese and scots dumpy their short legs)

My last batch of eggs (15), 7 were clear at day 10. Then 5 of them stopped around day 14-18. 1 pipped but didn't make it out. 1 hatched and is a sweet little girl. I named her Grace.

My last batch of eggs (15), 7 were clear at day 10. Then 5 of them stopped around day 14-18. 1 pipped but didn't make it out. 1 hatched and is a sweet little girl. I named her Grace.
Were the eggs shipped?

I'm currently taking eggs from the hen house and each evening putting them into the incubator, no shipping or storage. I'll be curious to see how the hatch goes.

fertility isn't the issue for me, it's hatchability. about a third seem to quit around halfway thru. I'm thinking they may have the stumpy gene in them, which is lethal in homozygous form. that would explain the longer legs occasionally popping up too. (same gene that gives Japanese and scots dumpy their short legs)
I poked around the internet and found several sources that say the SGD carry a lethal gene that causes short necks and beaks in embryos and death at about day 9 of incubation. Apparently this has been known since the 1950's but its the first I've heard of it.

Last edited:
I poked around the internet and found several sources that say the SGD carry a lethal gene that causes short necks and beaks in embryos and death at about day 9. Apparently this has been known since the 1950's but its the first I've heard of it.
I remember something about this and a reason why it was not true. Hopefully someone remembers and will post.

The problem with them is actually low vigor due to bad genetics. Silver Dorkings need a lot of dedicated work to bring them back.

Last edited:
I poked around the internet and found several sources that say the SGD carry a lethal gene that causes short necks and beaks in embryos and death at about day 9 of incubation. Apparently this has been known since the 1950's but its the first I've heard of it.

Do you have sources or references for this? It would be helpful when interesting information like this is posted to have the sources so that we all have a chance to learn.
Thanks
M

Back
Top Bottom