Baby Chicks in the Mail...

I picked up my chicks yesterday that I ordered through a feed store near me. They order thousands of chicks a year.
Mine came in with about 100 in the order. They arrived on time and in great shape.
I asked if they were seeing delays and was told no.
They order from 7 different hatcheries and have had no delays at all.

I just want to make sure people are aware that thousands of baby chicks have died in the mail as the US Post Office has become a political issue and service has been slowed. Please make sure that the place you get chicks from is aware of this issue and has a plan to prevent or counter these delays!

Thousands of baby chicks arrive dead amid postal service turmoil

Mail-order chicks are arriving dead, costing Maine farmers ...

USPS changes blamed for deliveries of thousands of dead chicks: 'We've never had a problem like this before'
I ordered jerseys during covid, and all of them came in dead :( I was really looking forward to them....

I just want to make sure people are aware that thousands of baby chicks have died in the mail as the US Post Office has become a political issue and service has been slowed. Please make sure that the place you get chicks from is aware of this issue and has a plan to prevent or counter these delays!

Thousands of baby chicks arrive dead amid postal service turmoil

Mail-order chicks are arriving dead, costing Maine farmers ...

USPS changes blamed for deliveries of thousands of dead chicks: 'We've never had a problem like this before'
Can you, or anyone tell me what the average % of Chicks that didn’t survive PRIOR to these changes was? And % now? Obviously, an approximation... Thank you!

Edited to add that I replied before I read the nine pages above:

I live in north Florida and the weather had been stormy with mild temps so when I saw the pullets in the breeds I'd been looking for on MPC, I ordered. I received my order of 5 chicks from this past Monday. The week before, I called them to ask about the delays. They told me the chicks which had died were sent freight to large grow farms (broiler or layer) and that they hadn't heard of any delays from their customers. I had also asked my local post office about delays. It is the first time that I order such a small order of chicks and the first time I ever order in the summer and the first order ever from My Pet Chicken. The chicks arrived on time and all healthy and well.

Just wanted to mention. I've been ordering day old chicks by USPS for almost 2 decades, hundreds of chicks from different hatcheries in my region. Less than five doa in all that time. I hope things don't change now.

Last edited:
Hatchery was somewhere in missouri don't remember name or details. Missouri is definitely not close to my state of ri at all so they had to be delivered really quickly (do they ship by plane at all??). Our post office said that they for some reason sent our first order of them back (never even saw them) so we had to order a new batch. We got the message that they arrived but when I got the package they were unusually silent. We thought nothing of it (I thought it was off though) so I checked right when I got our of the car and found them (except ofr three) stone cold dead. Two of the other three died a few moments later and we had to cull the last because it didn't seem like it was gonna make it the next day. We had been waiting for months for those orders.
Can you give more details? What month, what was the weather like, how far did they travel, any delays....how many days from hatch to delivery?

Hatchery was somewhere in missouri don't remember name or details. Missouri is definitely not close to my state of ri at all so they had to be delivered really quickly (do they ship by plane at all??). Our post office said that they for some reason sent our first order of them back (never even saw them) so we had to order a new batch. We got the message that they arrived but when I got the package they were unusually silent. We thought nothing of it (I thought it was off though) so I checked right when I got our of the car and found them (except ofr three) stone cold dead. Two of the other three died a few moments later and we had to cull the last because it didn't seem like it was gonna make it the next day. We had been waiting for months for those orders.

How many days in transit?
What month was it?

They were babies, tractorsupply, whom we ordered through, doesn't ship or sell chicks that are older then a few days or so.

So you did not order from the hatchery directly?
TSC handed you the box without even checking it??????

How many days in transit?
What month was it?

So you did not order from the hatchery directly?
TSC handed you the box without even checking it??????
No. We put the order in through tractorsupply, whom sends it to their matcheries, wich then ship them directly to you, via the mail. As for the month, it was one of the later spring early summer months, the weather was hot, a heat wave all week.

Back
Top Bottom