Baby silkie chick has partially swollen eyelid

Jayden Owens

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I have 6 week old silkie chicks and I noticed just yesterday that one of them has a swollen upper eyelid. There isn't much swelling but I do believe it's getting worse. So far there is no signs of any serious infection, no discharge from the eyes or noes, they are sneezing but they all have been sneezing so I believe it's normal. It seems quite mild as of right now. It's behavior has not changed and still ears and drinks and plays around. The other three do not have similar conditions.

I have been providing it with VetRX as instructed and rinsing it's eye with cool sterile water frequently. I also ordered some vetericyn plus antimicrobial ophthalmic pet gel online, sadly it will take three days to get here.

I am wondering if there is more to be done and just recently questioned if the pet gel I ordered will be safe for the baby chick. Any advice will be helpful, please and thank you.
16532016521282830809316647511020.jpg

The swelling is not bad at all cause you can't even tell there is swelling (the chick wouldn't cooperate when trying to get a picture of both it's eyes)

Last edited:
You can make some homemade sterile saline to use in the eyes, and apply plain Neosporin to the eye. Terramycin eye ointment is ideal, and may be found in some feed stores. Homemade saline recipe is 1 tsp of table salt added to 2 cups (16 ounces) water. Bring to boil, and lower to simmer in saucepan for 15 minutes, cover with lid. Place in a clean jar when cool. Have you considered that the chicks may have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG?) It is a contagious respiratory disease spread by a carrier, and also can pass through hatching eggs. Tylan injectable given orally, or Tylosin powder in the water can treat it. Survivors and others may be carriers for life. Here is a link to read about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom