Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
I thought I'd start a new thread to deal with these 2 topics.

I'm in the process of converting my garden to BTE, and seeing wonderful results. I've been gardening under mulch for years. Pretty much, I hate seeing bare soil, though my wide beds will be a bit bare until the vegetation has grown enough to cover the soil. Once it gets to that point, any weeds are not likely to compete enough to be a problem. This season, about 75% of my garden foot print is covered with wood chips. That's a lot of hauling. Since I have to do it one wheel barrow full at a time. The goal is to get those chips 4 - 6" thick over the entire garden 32 x 48.

I put in an orchard late last summer, and have been working on a BTE approach with that as well. I have about 1/2 of the trees well protected with chips. The rest is growing up to a tangle of weeds. As time and energy allow, I put down a layer of cardboard to mash the weeds, and follow up with the wood chips. In the parts of the orchard that have been chipped, There has been an appreciable improvement in soil texture. I needed a pick axe to dig holes for the trees. Heavy, compacted clay, with lots of rocks. Rocks have been moved to the back of the orchard to start a rock wall (north) and should provide some microclimate improvement as they catch the sun. When digging to set some plants in the orchard "understory" last weekend, the soil was much looser, some worm activity, with the very beginning of a humus layer started. I was able to loosen soil with shovel and garden fork. FYI, Each tree has a circle of daffodils to repel voles, and garlic to repel other nasties. Over time, the understory will be planted with flowering plants to attract pollinators and beneficial insects. For now, there is sorghum, dent corn, strawberries, and squash planted here and there to take advantage of the bare space. Trees are being pruned to keep their mature size at around 8'.

Hugelkulture: Started last summer. 12' completed. I did not have top soil available, so had to modify my design from the "they say" peeps design. Top is capped with weedy debris from garden clean up, planting holes lined with rotting hay, filled with top soil and compost and a bit of my old chicken bedding. The whole thing, after planting, is covered with more rotting hay and grass clippings. 3 hills of watermelon, 4 hills of squash. Old garlic cloves scattered here and there. Squash is now starting to run a bit. Completion of this project on hold due to medical hold on chain saw use. So... adding a bit of lasagna garden to keep the project going. Working up a 6 x 6 addition. Finished project will be about 35' x 8'.

@lazy gardener Apologies, I can't remember where we were talking about this: I was trying to propagate an ancient dying apple tree via getting cuttings to take root and you wanted to know how it went.

Since I can't remember which thread that was in, I'm posting here. Please let me know if you want it moved elsewhere and I'll do it :)

On March 24th I took 15 cuttings from our old, dying Mr. Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 100 years old. It was split by a maple, languished on the road side, has no heartwood left and I had to cut the last real life-supporting limbs off last fall for road easement reasons. It also grows the most delicious apples.
apple-old tree.jpg apple-inside wide.jpg apple-Inside close.jpg

I want about 12 fruit trees for the future orchard. It would be nice if there were some variety in there, but the over-wintered buds were in rough shape due to plow damage and I've never done this before, so I took 15.

A little prepping, rooting hormone, and 50/50 sand/potting soil mix later I had it (and five red prince weigelas - our beloved three were all girdled by voles this winter) all ready to go:
apple-new beginnings.jpg
They say rooting should take 2-4 weeks on the apples. We are 13 days in and:
apple-new life.jpg
We have new life! Four of the apple cuttings are opening their buds! I wonder how many more will pop up in the next couple of weeks?

I really only needed one to take to carry on the old apple's legacy. But since I have zero experience in fruit trees, I greatly appreciate having many chances to practice :)

Morning walk about: I am awestruck by the beauty that surrounds me this morning. Was visited by a little hummingbird as I strolled the garden. She flitted through the Calendula, sampling a number of blossoms, checked me out, then blessed me by perching on a little section of CP not more than 2' away from me while she preened.

Fresh sweet tomato cherries, still cool from the night air. BTE is providing yet an other benefit. In spite of the erratic rain fall/drought, I am seeing very few split fruit this season. In years past, I could plan on fruit split after every rain/watering.

Green beans are simply bursting forth, and thanking me profusely for every time I turn the hose on them. I have put up 15 pts. so far, been serving them almost every evening, and there will be an other huge picking today. All from the vines confined to an old swing set.

Onions: bumper crop for me. Some as big as my fist. Such a satisfying feeling to grab those withered tops and feel the roots break away from the loose soil. I intend to leave the tops intact this season and try my hand at braiding them. I don't know if it's common practice to braid them with twine wound into the braid, but that will be my intent.

Birds will remain shut in their run, as hawks have been prowling the woods behind their coop/run. Much hawk screeching going on. Small consolation for the flock with the weeds I toss them today. They will also get some of the many bulbils that have matured on the scapes of the garlic that grows like weeds in the garden. The rest of the bulbils, and immature bulbs will be spread around in the BTE orchard to deter voles.

Winding up to be an other hot day. Double yolk egg with my breakfast.

I am very new to BTE gardening. In that I have just started chipping a downed tree and putting the chips on top of newspaper in my garden.
My question is: is oak tree chips ok to use for BTE? Hopefully it is because that is what I have available. I too have not been able to get any tree services to dump wood chips here either.

IMO, use what you have. As long as it's not Black Walnut, or any other tree that possesses aleopathic properties.

I like to steam them little olive oil in the water salt and pepper

that sounds absolutely delightful. I've been using a lot more olive oil lately.

I put out 10 mouse traps in the garden yesterday. In spite of a night of rain that was pretty heavy at times, I caught one mouse, and one vole. Will bury them in the garden. Seems to be a fitting disposition to creatures that intend to rob me of my food supply. Make their little decomposing bodies feed next year's crops.

Bare root trees must be shipped and handled while they are still dormant. That is the primary reason why Fedco does not ship trees in the warmer months. I was not even aware that it was possible to receive trees from them in the fall. I have learned that if I want a tree, I need to plan ahead, and order in January to get what I want so I can plant it the following spring. In an ideal world, I'd prepare the hole and soil the fall before placing the order.

Kelsey, some trees start producing as early as 3 years after being planted. Let me ask you a question: How old will you be 3 years from now? If you plant a tree you could be picking fruit then! But, if you do not plant a tree now, I can guarantee that you will not be picking fruit from your tree 3 years from now! It's all a matter of perspective. Time marches on. Seize the moment. I could be saying that I'm 62 years old. It's not logical for me to plant fruit trees b/c I may never see them reach good productive maturity. But, some one will come along behind me, and I hope they will benefit from my trees!!!

My original intent for the comfrey was to use it as a high protein fodder for the chickens. They won't touch it, even though it is reported to be 30% protein. It is also useful to cut and use as a mulch or as a compost amendment. I usually just cut it, and let it lie where cut. It's planted between the trees in the orchard. one clump between each 2 trees. Alternate names for it are: boneset, bruisewort, and knitbone. I used it with plantain and jewel weed to make a salve last season, I also put some tea tree oil in the salve. I may have had too much herb for the carrier oils, but the combination of herbs or the concentration made the stuff smell vile! My previous salve with plantain, sage, and jewel weed was wonderful. Back to the experimentation phase!

Back
Top Bottom