Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
I have a question about underplanting blueberries (3-4 foot growers). I know they need full sun but I would like to squeeze in an apple tree too. Location is South side of yard and very sunny. I am wondering if blues could handle being somewhat under the tree (which is non existent at this point). Anyone have experience with blueberries having dappled shade for part of the day? Do you know of any other conflicts there could be to plant together?

Check the soil pH of apples and blueberries.

Blueberries like very acid soil. Apples not so much.

Blueberries require acid soils. Michigan State University Extension recommends the soil pH be between 4.5 and 5.5. If you plant blueberries in the neutral soils (soil pH 6.5 to 7) favored by most plants, theplants will be yellow and grow poorly if they grow at all.Dec 17, 2012
Soil test before you plant blueberries | MSU Extension
msue.anr.msu.edu/news/soil_test_before_you_plant_blueberries

I believe strawberries would be compatible with your blueberries.

Juneberries would be a better choice for an under crop for apple trees. I'm doing a BTE orchard. While waiting for the trees to fill in, I have planted rhubarb, June berries, raspberries, blackberries, various garden crops, some flowers, Bocking #14 comfrey. Garlic and daffodils are great planted in a ring around the trees to defer mice and voles from nibbling the bark in the winter.

I believe strawberries would be compatible with your blueberries.

Juneberries would be a better choice for an under crop for apple trees. I'm doing a BTE orchard. While waiting for the trees to fill in, I have planted rhubarb, June berries, raspberries, blackberries, various garden crops, some flowers, Bocking #14 comfrey. Garlic and daffodils are great planted in a ring around the trees to defer mice and voles from nibbling the bark in the winter.

Now Iknow where to put the black berries!!

Just read that marigolds may help with replant disease......

My original intent for the comfrey was to use it as a high protein fodder for the chickens. They won't touch it, even though it is reported to be 30% protein. It is also useful to cut and use as a mulch or as a compost amendment. I usually just cut it, and let it lie where cut. It's planted between the trees in the orchard. one clump between each 2 trees. Alternate names for it are: boneset, bruisewort, and knitbone. I used it with plantain and jewel weed to make a salve last season, I also put some tea tree oil in the salve. I may have had too much herb for the carrier oils, but the combination of herbs or the concentration made the stuff smell vile! My previous salve with plantain, sage, and jewel weed was wonderful. Back to the experimentation phase!

Back
Top Bottom