Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
I have both. I use gummy bears dropped in run and covered up. They can;t digest them and they die. I have used the same on voles by dropping it in their hole and let nature takes its course. I know the moles go fast but voles seem to multiply much faster or migrate from greater distances.

I have both. I use gummy bears dropped in run and covered up. They can;t digest them and they die. I have used the same on voles by dropping it in their hole and let nature takes its course. I know the moles go fast but voles seem to multiply much faster or migrate from greater distances.
Have you ever seen a vole or mole that expired after eating a gummy?

I'm SO THRILLED to see a BTE garden topic here! I am facinated with it all and plan to start my crops this next spring. I loved the story he told about his bird dog in the chicken yard. It is still unbelievable but that's why it is so great!

Hi LG and ALL, Subscribed!!!

Started using 3 plots last summer at the community garden. OMG!!! Such pooooooooor soil. Sandy. Enough said. Kept every weed, and late ion fall mowed down the weeds for mulch, to add to the endless bags of sawdust added to aid in moisture retention. The "president" kept kidding me about all the weeds..... but I'm hoping the soil will be that much better in a couple years. NOTHING organic left my plot. Nothing. It is composting. Whereas the community compost pile reached an enormous 15 feet long and 4 feet high... as many use pesticides and herbicides I didnt grab any of that pile......

I dont have bark mulch but I can get shavings!!!!

I would bypass the shavings if you are planning BTE, unless you have a lot of green to add to the shavings. Then you could put shavings, mixed with green on top of the soil, but not mix it in. Any horse stables near you? That might be a good option. I am super blessed b/c I have a town dump where they have a huge tarred parking lot where folks bring all of their compostables. One of the employees then used a skid steer to turn the massive piles. So, if I don't mind hauling it, I can get as much as I want when ever I want: composted leaves and yard debris, stable litter, and mountains of wood chips. To be beneficial for BTE, it's best if those chips have a lot of green mixed in. So, trees in full leaf are best. Can you get leaves???

Um... I just went back and read your post. Those shavings wouldn't be from your coop, and full of chicken poo, would they? if THAT's the case, well... they are already inoculated with nitrogen! So, they'd be fine on top. How big are those plots? You'll revolutionize gardening!

lol. I have 7 horses but cannot possibly haul ALL that across town, lol. Had my boys move lots of wheelbarrel full of shavings/horsemanure that was dumped for community use at the garden. Will continue to bring buckets of the good stuff from home to Innoculate my compost piles. Was told a fall dump of manure from the stable would be coming but it never did. Would have kept the boys on that pile until they keeled over!! Baby steps...

Might just focus on a small area to get it restored well and work outward.

Have considered the gel that is diapers, but don't know a source other than diapers!!!!

Back
Top Bottom