Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
What is y'alls opinion on mulch from evergreen trees? My first thought was green=good. It's what I've got, so I'm going with it for now, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

I use what ever I can get my hands on. You might want to check your pH. But... you can always add some lime if your soil is too acid. I covet pine needles to mulch blueberries and other acid lovers. But, since those are rarely available, I use what ever I get for wood chips.

Following this and so happy I found this thread.
I'm in the desert and my front yard is finally somewhat under control. Now for the backyard....which has the worlds worst soil! It's slimey clay and sand with a variable layer of caliche underneath. Have amended some areas to help with clay and adding some gypsum to help loosen things up for future use.
We just got half a dozen chicks and I can't wait to get things ready for some fall planting.
Very interested in alternative gardening methods. Thanks to all for the info!

Following this and so happy I found this thread.
I'm in the desert and my front yard is finally somewhat under control. Now for the backyard....which has the worlds worst soil! It's slimey clay and sand with a variable layer of caliche underneath. Have amended some areas to help with clay and adding some gypsum to help loosen things up for future use.
We just got half a dozen chicks and I can't wait to get things ready for some fall planting.
Very interested in alternative gardening methods. Thanks to all for the info!
I was not familiar with the term caliche. Had to do a google search. Found this article that might be helpful to you: https://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/soils/caliche.html

You might find that hay or straw bale gardening might be a good avenue for you.

Or perhaps you might want to consider lasagna gardening. Check out this book. You can find it in your library, or have your library order it if you don't want to purchase it. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...AZCNFViXTqmbuM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=130&vet=1&w=562

Also, consider deep litter management in the coop and in the run. That will give you a head start on providing good soil for your gardening efforts.

Thanks much for the info lazy gardener! Bookmarked both for further review.

The only concern I have with deep litter, which I very much want to try, is that it's so dry here that I'm struggling to keep enough moisture to compost. Then a monsoon comes through and everything is soaked.

The area where the chicken coop is going has good drainage so I think it might work ok if I do major cleaning early summer for fall planting.

We've been quite successful with scarlet nantes carrots but I want to let some go to seed. We did tomatoes and jalapeños and cilantro. Armenian cucs are great and have a light melon flavor. Peas and sunflowers. Corn was so so. I quit gardening cuz I got tired of the fight. Watermelons, pumpkins and squash were a miserable failure.

Caliche is a serious pain. We had to shift the planting of a tree about ten feet because we couldn't get through a really thick spot and ensure good drainage. Really appreciate the info on that stuff!

I thought sunken beds as I've read they're better here than raised. I've theorized sfg would work along with this method but lately I've read about tree guilds and hugelkulture. If I can lighten the soil but increase water retention that would be great.

Deep litter or mulch will help with water retention in the dry spells, as well as helping to manage the monsoon issues. It acts as a buffer to absorb the extra moisture during wet spells and release it during dry.

What do you mean about deep cleaning early summer for fall planting? If you do the deep litter (minimum of 4 - 6"), you should not need to do any cleaning. Simply pull the mulch back, pop in your seeds, and plant.

If you put your general location in your profile, it will help immensely. I am not at all well versed in southern gardening, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are, and their assistance will be much more appropriate to your needs!

Last edited:
Sorry LG my mind was all over the place yesterday lol. Got chick and garden fever!
I meant clean out my coop in early summer to finish composting til fall planting.
Will get profile updated.
Your posts have given me a TON of ideas to get started.

Try Coconut Coir and see if that would help break up your soil. It holds moisture and breaks down over time and by introducing earth worms the will allow air in to the soil and in turn helps it to retain moisture and will help break it up. Course sand help to break up the soil as well and also helps retain moisture. Try working a 4x4 foot square area and plant above ground bearing plants and let those roots help break up the soil also.

Good Luck on what ever you try

Last harvest in green house was mid December. Had some nice salads at that time. Ground frozen solid in GH from then till last week. Planted first seeds on Friday. Have needed to open door(s) every day, and close at night. Yesterday, soil temp was up to 40*F. This afternoon, soil temp up to 50*F. I should be getting some mini salads in about 3 weeks. Some kale, spinach, chard and parsley survived the hard freeze. There is also a nice crop of garlic coming up. Not bad to be shut down in the garden x 12 weeks. Without GH, there would be NOTHING from the garden from mid Oct through early May. (minimum of 6.5 months w/o production)

Thanks much for the info lazy gardener! Bookmarked both for further review.

The only concern I have with deep litter, which I very much want to try, is that it's so dry here that I'm struggling to keep enough moisture to compost. Then a monsoon comes through and everything is soaked.

The area where the chicken coop is going has good drainage so I think it might work ok if I do major cleaning early summer for fall planting.

We've been quite successful with scarlet nantes carrots but I want to let some go to seed. We did tomatoes and jalapeños and cilantro. Armenian cucs are great and have a light melon flavor. Peas and sunflowers. Corn was so so. I quit gardening cuz I got tired of the fight. Watermelons, pumpkins and squash were a miserable failure.

Caliche is a serious pain. We had to shift the planting of a tree about ten feet because we couldn't get through a really thick spot and ensure good drainage. Really appreciate the info on that stuff!

I thought sunken beds as I've read they're better here than raised. I've theorized sfg would work along with this method but lately I've read about tree guilds and hugelkulture. If I can lighten the soil but increase water retention that would be great.
Have you considered Mittlieder gardening? I used a variation of it in part of my garden during our drought last year in Alabama. It takes a lot of water to get it wet but once it is, it holds an even amount of water for a long time. Once the sawdust decomposes you have very good soil. I used compost and synthetic fertilizer instead of the stuff they wanted to sell me for the mix. When the wood decomposes you will no longer need synthetic fertilzers and the earthworms will till it for you. It is just a thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom