Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
I am starting one , have gardened 35 or so ... mostly raised beds.... I am moving my garden to a section of my horse arena that hasn't been used and has rock dust over clay...hah... I am putting down cardboard, then log pieces and downed wood , then I get wheelbarrows of black soil from my duck and geese night yards that has poo mixed with oak leaves , hay,etc. I have/can use some horse manure but it tends to have too many weed seeds... I also now have access to rabbit poo from DIL. so I put this over the logs/ branches, etc. Then I bought some top soil (not that great) and buy some peat moss and put that as a top layer. I can't get green stuff other than leaves, as we don't bag our weed/grass because I need it to enrich the pastures and the animals eat it. I am working on the beds this winter, I can't dig the holes in the ground, too many old injuries. and it would be too soggy... (SE).I have two beds done 4 x12, and working on a third, plan on having 6-7... also fencing it 4 ft. with hotwire (deer, raccoons, squirrels ,ducks, geese, dogs). I am planning this one better. I had one on a slope and got waterfalls in bad storms, and all the weed seeds came with it... and too cramped to move around in with all the blocks I had, couldn't get a wheel barrow in... I hope to raise some produce for the birds too... I already have blueberries, raspberries (going away , I get scratched up too bad, fragile skin I guess) fruit trees and grapes... I too had to use a pick to plant all my ornamentals at the base of a ridge and have clay and rocks... except in the woods... using some wood chips, and leaves also ... but I think the logs and branches will act as a sponge, and I do get worms when I add the manure and stuff... and fortunately we get tons of ladybugs , they cover our house in spring. Also I see praying mantis , toads, and other benificials ... we are near a forest and farms...

Back
Top Bottom