Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
I am starting one , have gardened 35 or so ... mostly raised beds.... I am moving my garden to a section of my horse arena that hasn't been used and has rock dust over clay...hah... I am putting down cardboard, then log pieces and downed wood , then I get wheelbarrows of black soil from my duck and geese night yards that has poo mixed with oak leaves , hay,etc. I have/can use some horse manure but it tends to have too many weed seeds... I also now have access to rabbit poo from DIL. so I put this over the logs/ branches, etc. Then I bought some top soil (not that great) and buy some peat moss and put that as a top layer. I can't get green stuff other than leaves, as we don't bag our weed/grass because I need it to enrich the pastures and the animals eat it. I am working on the beds this winter, I can't dig the holes in the ground, too many old injuries. and it would be too soggy... (SE).I have two beds done 4 x12, and working on a third, plan on having 6-7... also fencing it 4 ft. with hotwire (deer, raccoons, squirrels ,ducks, geese, dogs). I am planning this one better. I had one on a slope and got waterfalls in bad storms, and all the weed seeds came with it... and too cramped to move around in with all the blocks I had, couldn't get a wheel barrow in... I hope to raise some produce for the birds too... I already have blueberries, raspberries (going away , I get scratched up too bad, fragile skin I guess) fruit trees and grapes... I too had to use a pick to plant all my ornamentals at the base of a ridge and have clay and rocks... except in the woods... using some wood chips, and leaves also ... but I think the logs and branches will act as a sponge, and I do get worms when I add the manure and stuff... and fortunately we get tons of ladybugs , they cover our house in spring. Also I see praying mantis , toads, and other benificials ... we are near a forest and farms...

How tall are you going to make your HK beds? I envy you your wonderful access to soil amendments.

also this system is going to be indoors, due to the fact i live in Canada (so like no growing for like 7 months of the year outdoors and two if i can get a tilapia permit they have to be raised indoors.

How many gallons are you going to have for your system?

Wow putting me to shame with my tires but will cover a spot in the front right side with bulbs in the next few days try to deter the weeds that are rampant in there

Here's an article that I dug up for my friend @kwhites634 . This green house is reasonably close to the one I built. Like this builder, I used pipe insulation to cover the arc at the leading edge of the CP arc. I first wrapped the 4 mil plastic around the CP on the front and back side of the structure, then put the plastic over the CP walls, securing it with zip ties. My plastic is secured around all 4 sides of the bottom with screw and lath. My front and back both have the combination storm windows which were framed up as raised doors. My end panel framing is very similar to the photo. I found that a 2 x 4 makes a perfect ridge pole, with a horizontal 2 x 4 trimmed to match the arc of the CP. This horizontal support fits perfectly across the grid of the CP and is well secured by corresponding height grids on either side, with perfect match to the needed ridge pole height.

http://www.ericsprojects.com/?page_id=228

K, if you don't want to get into a build before spring in your area, I forget where you are... you might be happy with a hay bale cold frame to get you through this busy spring. A hay bale cold frame will easily buy 2 months of growing time at each end of the garden season.

https://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/a-cold-frame-for-many-occasions/

@mlm Mike , You'll enjoy these articles also. I use hay bale cold frames on a regular basis, as well as my green house, and my little cheapo chinese mini green houses. I built a little dolly cart to lash my mini green houses down to so I can wheel them in and out of the garage in the spring.

Here's an article that I dug up for my friend @kwhites634 . This green house is reasonably close to the one I built. Like this builder, I used pipe insulation to cover the arc at the leading edge of the CP arc. I first wrapped the 4 mil plastic around the CP on the front and back side of the structure, then put the plastic over the CP walls, securing it with zip ties. My plastic is secured around all 4 sides of the bottom with screw and lath. My front and back both have the combination storm windows which were framed up as raised doors. My end panel framing is very similar to the photo. I found that a 2 x 4 makes a perfect ridge pole, with a horizontal 2 x 4 trimmed to match the arc of the CP. This horizontal support fits perfectly across the grid of the CP and is well secured by corresponding height grids on either side, with perfect match to the needed ridge pole height.

http://www.ericsprojects.com/?page_id=228

K, if you don't want to get into a build before spring in your area, I forget where you are... you might be happy with a hay bale cold frame to get you through this busy spring. A hay bale cold frame will easily buy 2 months of growing time at each end of the garden season.

https://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/a-cold-frame-for-many-occasions/

@mlm Mike , You'll enjoy these articles also. I use hay bale cold frames on a regular basis, as well as my green house, and my little cheapo chinese mini green houses. I built a little dolly cart to lash my mini green houses down to so I can wheel them in and out of the garage in the spring.
Many thanks, LG; looks great; I knew you'd know.

I'll probably try to find the "Greenhouse plastic", or translucent corrugated panels, so I don't have to replace it so often.

Back
Top Bottom