Back yard rabbit group anyone?

herbandteas

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Olalla, Wa in Kitsap County
I was sitting here thinking that there are a few people who do comment on the other animal post about rabbits that dont know a lot about them that it would be nice to set up a Back yard rabbit group. Anyone interested enough in one?

Hi all, I am no professional but have nearly 50 years in rabbits and fowl As a family over a 100 years of experience. Very few problems and I will give some helpful advice . I didn't know this area was on BYC so maybe I can help. I raise meat rabbits, and have had 7 does and 2 bucks, would dress out up to 50 at a time, never bread them hard, always had 2 or more bred at the same time. Have had excellent success in fostering out large litters to other mothers with less. And never practiced culling a litter down to 8 like some pros do ( large at 8 weeks, this is standard butchering age or food to weight gain goes down dramatically) A new Zealand doe, from day bred, litter of 8, at 8 week old will eat 100 pounds of feed. These dress out to just over 2 1/4 pounds, less kidneys and liver. I am now in my 50's and only raise enough for my family, not to mention arthritis is so bad in my hands, I can only do maybe 10 at a time now. Old man time sure takes his tole. I feed nature wise, any good feed will work follow the guide lines, a fat doe wont breed. My does and bucks get 6 ounces a day an timothy grass hay, ( NOT ALFALFA, ITS TO RICH AND WILL GIVE THEM THE RUNS) A plastic resting pad is highly recommend to save you from sore hocks. BASS cage equipment sells anything you could want as well as Fleming Outdoors.
I raise chicory and radish tops for them and my chickens and quail. Give any part of dandelions to them YARD MUST NOT BE TREATED . there ARE MANY SITES FOR MEDICINAL PLANTS AND FOODS FOR RABBITS ON LINE THESE DAYS.
A couple post back, one had a doe on her 35th day at the time with no babies. False pregnancy. I check my does before placing them with the buck. A light pink vulva, she wont breed, a purplish color and she will readily breed, even trying to mess with the buck. I let them breed 3 times. then put her back in her cage. ALWAYS PUT DOE WITH BUCK, NOT BUCK TO DOES CAGE. SHE CAN CASTRATE HIM. If you want to breed year round, add lighting have 12-14 hours of light a day. Like all critters, day light hours controls breeding. I have had litters at -20 here in outside rabbi-tries. Babes were warm as toast, frost on the top of nest hair. Of course any that stay on the teat when she leaves her nest box die quickly. That's the trade off. I sold more than I could produce. If I can help anyone PM me or, I will try to keep track of this on here. good luck all.

PS, this back yard rabbit group is a good idea. Thanks BYC for having such an openness to all subjects. firestomp

Last edited:
I'd love to learn about rabbits from people who have them - either here on BYC or elsewhere. Any suggestions?

I would love a rabbit forum! I have 6, one dutch doe, a pair of mini-rex's, and 3 that I have no idea what breed they are, but there are 2 does and a buck. I know almost nothing about rabbits!!

Back
Top Bottom