Back yard rabbit group anyone?

I think a BYC sponsored rabbit site would be wonderful. I just started with meat rabbits, and while doing research I found a few forums but they were really pet rabbit forums even though they claimed otherwise, or they were geared toward commercial operations. After reading responses to meat rabbit questions, I decided to pass on being active. One of the nice things about this site is that it really lets you treat chickens as either pets or working farm stock and is moderated as such. While there are of course some clashing of personalities, I feel free ask questions about butchering my birds, or how to ensure they live as long and happy as possible without feeling the need to put on a Nonex suit first. I also think a dedicated site would be the most useful. Just like with chickens, there is just too much subject mater for just one sub folder. Besides just like with chickens some people don't want to hear about butchering. Conversely some folks that keep only "working" chickens get frustrated with the emotional side of keeping chickens only as pets. Not trying to pick on any group, that is just a blatant example. If there is a dedicated site that is setup like this one, it would let members find their comfort zone without getting aggravated by having to read things they are opposed to or just don't have an interest in.

Maybe I need to change my signature to "Marsh Rabbit", we have hundreds of them running around here when the water isn't up...

Swamp

Quote:
That is a nice looking doe! Just in time for easter get it the chocolat easter bunny
wink.png

Thanks
smile.png
She does have a weird lighter spot on her forehead-not sure if it's related to baby fur or what. I didn't see it when I bought her because the barn was kinda dimly lit. If it doesn't go away, I guess she'll forgo the shows and go straight to breeding to see what we get with her!

Got a first timer that built a real nice nest... and in the nest box even! And, she's even pulled a ton of fur for it. That almost never happens it seems, she's doin better than some of my proven does, odd enuff. I wish she'd hurry up and have 'em already though, she's been growlin and bitin for 3 1/2 weeks and reachin in the cage to feed her's gettin less fun everyday LOL! The way she's actin, she'll probly have 'em tonite... hopefully.

I would love to see a BYC Rabbit site since I just got back into raising rabbits again. I have 5 Rabbits. 3 does and two bucks. One New Zealand Doe, One English Lop/ New Zealand Cross doe and one mixed hybrid meat doe. Bucks I have One English Lop/ Californian and one other Meat type. It would be OK if the forum was within BYC but I would want seperate sections for Breeders, Meat Rabbits, Pet Rabbits, Housing, Breeding, Raising babies, Showing , ETC. There is a pretty good forum on Homesteading Today website but it is geared strictly towards meat production rabbits so it leaves some owners out plus there is not near enough traffic as BYC has. I am raising mine for meat and profit but we definitely see our "mommies and daddies" rabbits as our pets. You can see pics of them on my BYC rabbit page.

2 more yep we want our own group with BYC

I started this but with shows coming up and kits to raise I have not been here much. I got 2nd place with my holland lop buck our of 30 other rabbits. It was his 1st show and I was sooo happy. I got him free from someone on Craigslist. He is a cute little blue tort. Now I just have to wait for my doe to be old enough to breed him to.

Here is a link to my rabbit website
http://raidansrabbitry.webs.com

Some folks recently told me I should start sellin rabbits as pets, but I dont think NZ's would make the best pets. I got some standard Rex's but folks want small rabbits (no idea why, but oh well.) What rabbit breeds make the best pets, that dont carry the dwarf gene, cuz I dont want a bunch of "peanuts." I'm only gettin a pair of 'em cuz I aint really wantin to get into pets to deep... So, in yalls opinion, what breeds make the best pets? I've heard some breeds'll follow ya around but I have no idea what...

I would also like to see this added to the site as I have not only chickens, guineas, an quail, I also have about 3 different breeds of Rabbits and would like a place to discuss them more an find out more about them etc etc............

I have rabbits too! I have black and blue silver fox, Blanc de Hotots and an English angora. I am "thinking" about geting a pair of smaller pet rabbits for raising pets but not sure I want to yet or not. If I do I was thinking maybe Dutch, the pet store here has them for sale all the time and they go pretty fast and yet they are big enough that any not sold could still make a decent stew from what I hear.

wow timely
we are researching get a rabbit for my dd as she is allergic to all other pets.
we are getting a french lop when the time comes. had 2 growing up

friends are looking into meat rabbits as well

please have a backyard rabbit forum!

Back
Top Bottom