Backyard Brahmas!!

I hope this is in the right spot. I have some questions regarding these little birds. I am thinking of getting some for the kids this spring for pets and also hoping they will go broody to hatch out some replacement egg laying hens for me!! LOL So here are my questions.

1. Are all colors of Bantam Brahmas broody or is one color better at it than others?
2. I do not know any breeders so does anyone recommend a hatchery?
3. About how old are these girls when they start to go broody?
4. About how many full size eggs can they hatch? Are they good mothers?
5. From what I have read they are very good for kids and are very hardy is this pretty much true?

Please don't get mad but I am not looking for show birds just gentle hens that will be good pets and go broody. I don't plan on showing them and they will really just be mother natures incubator for my egg layers who no longer have that instinct from too much "Selective" breeding. LOL.

Thanks
Art

I hope this is in the right spot. I have some questions regarding these little birds. I am thinking of getting some for the kids this spring for pets and also hoping they will go broody to hatch out some replacement egg laying hens for me!! LOL So here are my questions.

1. Are all colors of Bantam Brahmas broody or is one color better at it than others?
2. I do not know any breeders so does anyone recommend a hatchery?
3. About how old are these girls when they start to go broody?
4. About how many full size eggs can they hatch? Are they good mothers?
5. From what I have read they are very good for kids and are very hardy is this pretty much true?

Please don't get mad but I am not looking for show birds just gentle hens that will be good pets and go broody. I don't plan on showing them and they will really just be mother natures incubator for my egg layers who no longer have that instinct from too much "Selective" breeding. LOL.

Thanks
Art
I'm sorry, Art, but I don't have any experience with Bantams. So I can't help you on your broody questions. What I do have experience with is my LF Buff Brahma from Meyer Hatchery. She is so very sweet, friendly, calm, and our most tolerant of being handled the way a small child would. She loves to cuddle. I know Meyer has Bantam Buff Brahmas in the Spring & Summer. I have also had good experiences with mypetchicken.com, but as I understand it much of what they send is Meyer stock, occasionally augmented with their own breeding projects. I have received two orders from Meyer & 1 order from mypetchicken. The customer service at mypetchicken is above & beyond; Meyer has decent customer service. Both of them sent me healthy, happy, friendly, amazingly well-adjusted adorable chicks true to breed. I know if you could find a breeder you would be supporting the improvement of the breed & in general more humane breeding practices. So hopefully someone on here can recommend a good breeder to you. But if you have to go through a Hatchery I liked these two a lot. I hope you get some wonderful pets for your kids!

My chicks have grown so big now. Took them outside for the first time today and they really liked it, the silvers were hesitant at first, but soon began chasing after each other.

Here's they are with the d'uccle chicks, which also had their first day outside.

As promised, here are some updated pictures of Sandy, my light brahma and buff laced brahma cross. Sandy is now 9 weeks old and is definitely a pullet! :D She stays very close to her hatchmate, E.J. Poofybutt (as my son calls her :) ) who is also a pullet and her adopted mom, Ebony. They both are doing very well and learning all foraging from their mom. Today was a chilly fall day in Maine but that didn't seem to bother them in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHen2010

As promised, here are some updated pictures of Sandy, my light brahma and buff laced brahma cross. Sandy is now 9 weeks old and is definitely a pullet!
big_smile.png
She stays very close to her hatchmate, E.J. Poofybutt (as my son calls her
smile.png
) who is also a pullet and her adopted mom, Ebony. They both are doing very well and learning all foraging from their mom. Today was a chilly fall day in Maine but that didn't seem to bother them in the slightest.

She is gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom