Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
When they are a week or so old you will only be able to see one row on the hens. As they age their comb developes and you can see the 3 rows clearly. I think at that age if it was a he it would be fairly reddened but it is so hard to tell when you don't have a roo & pullet together for comparison.

If its not raining after work tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of both Rosemary's head and the heads of the two Dark Brahmas.

The dark girls' combs are much smaller, but they are also much smaller and their feathering seems to be less well developed. Rosemary didn't read any of the information about Brahmas being slow to mature.

If its not raining after work tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of both Rosemary's head and the heads of the two Dark Brahmas.

The dark girls' combs are much smaller, but they are also much smaller and their feathering seems to be less well developed. Rosemary didn't read any of the information about Brahmas being slow to mature.
Sounds good. Lights are more popular and the hatcheries generally breed for production and thus usually grow faster. If you notice most hatcheries sell lights as a standard breed and the buff & darks as rare & unusual.

So I just got 3 Gold Lace Brahmas this past Thursday, you can see pics on my profile or in the Brahma thread. Will be posting more pics as they all grow up! Thank you CarolinaChik for inviting me to check out this thread, though the critiques on the Brahma thread don't bother me. I can repost the pics here if everyone would like!

So I just got 3 Gold Lace Brahmas this past Thursday, you can see pics on my profile or in the Brahma thread.  Will be posting more pics as they all grow up!  Thank you CarolinaChik for inviting me to check out this thread, though the critiques on the Brahma thread don't bother me.  I can repost the pics here if everyone would like!

Post lots of pics! :)

We had some people come over today to look at some chicks we have for sale. One of our Dark Brahma cockerels who is the most stand-offish of the five we have decided he wanted them to be his family. This guy followed hem all over the yard, jumped in their laps when they sat down, stood at their feet chirping to be picked up, and even tried to follow them out of the gate when they left! They will be back tomorrow to take him to his new home. Guess they didn't have much of a choice when he made it so obvious :)

We had some people come over today to look at some chicks we have for sale. One of our Dark Brahma cockerels who is the most stand-offish of the five we have decided he wanted them to be his family. This guy followed hem all over the yard, jumped in their laps when they sat down, stood at their feet chirping to be picked up, and even tried to follow them out of the gate when they left! They will be back tomorrow to take him to his new home. Guess they didn't have much of a choice when he made it so obvious
smile.png
Smart boy! I think there's a 'suck up' in every flock. I found one yesterday too...a little pullet from the first hatch this year. I noticed she wasn't hanging with the rest of the teenagers like normal but feeding among the big girls. Last night when I closed the coop I was surprised to see her on the roost snuggled under the wing of the head hen!

Smart boy! I think there's a 'suck up' in every flock. I found one yesterday too...a little pullet from the first hatch this year. I noticed she wasn't hanging with the rest of the teenagers like normal but feeding among the big girls. Last night when I closed the coop I was surprised to see her on the roost snuggled under the wing of the head hen!

Sounds like she has chosen her "mentor" so she can become the head hen when the time is right. Smart girl :)

beautiful babies like mine 6 years ago, sadly my buff brahmas are gone but not forgotten, they live in my heart for being THE MOST pretty and LOYAL to me, gave lots of love my 2 hens that I had wish one day I'll be lucky again to own once again the same kind, congratulations on your pretty babies!!!!

Back
Top Bottom