Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
Hello, I am glad I found this thread. The other Brahma thread I was on was mostly too complicated for me. I have six chickens right now and three are Buff Brahmas. I love them so much! They are just four months now and very sweet. My three Sebrights are getting ready to be traded for two Mille Fleur pullets the same age, but that is another story.

My Buffs are my big fluffy giants all very distinct in personality. Their names are Edith, Olive and Gertrude. This newbie chicken keeper hopes to learn more here

These are my girls...

Hi crowcreek! We're glad you found this thread, too. You're going to love it here! The first thing you'll learn here is that people appreciate others' birds without being too critical. I have two buff's and one light hatched two months ago. In the brooder I've got four misc. gold, blue, and buff partridge, but don't really know what is what. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if the older girls can be carriers of Marec's since I had them vaccinated before shipment.
Good luck with your big fluffy birds. They're beautiful and I love their names!

Some updated pics from this week of my GL Brahmas! They were a little messy, had just come in from yard time, but have entered the "awkward" stage. Starting to get a little bit of size now, though nothing compared to what they will be. They have also been named since the last posting!

Cinnamon

Pepper

Ginger

Thanks Vicki! I am
Looking forward to when they start laying eggs. Is there a standard age brahmas start laying? How about How many eggs they might lay per week?
Tomorrow afternoon is the big trade with my Sebrights. I hate seeing the two pullets go but I can't deal with my mean rooster and the only way to get him a good home was to send the pullets with him for breeding. I hope my Buffs do ok with the new Mille Fleur's. the Sebrights all kinda bosses the Buffs around so we shall see. They really are gental giants.

Hello All,
I just purchased 3 Brahma's (2 girls and a roo) and the guy who sold them to me thought they were dark, but I wasn't sure. We picked this breed because we have small kids. (And brahmas are pretty.) Sorry for the blurry but hopefully you can get a fairly good look. I thought they seemed light to me.

Thanks.

They look like the crosses I get with my light rooster and dark hens....so maybe they're a little of both! More pictures would be nice.
Welcome to BYC!

Vickis Girls, did you find out about the Mareks? I don't think it will hurt to mix them but maybe you could call the breeder and ask. Or, I think Phizer (sp?) makes the vaccine...maybe you could contact them.

Huntress,
No answers yet, but the vaccinated ones are from a hatchery, and I'm waiting for an answer from them. If I don't get an answer, I'm going to mix them. Before it occurred to me that the hatchery girls might be Marek's carriers, I had already been taking the gorgeous little blue partridge to the run during the day where the girls have already been, so it's too late to worry I guess. That's him/her in my avatar, and the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He's the lone hatchling, so it's been difficult at times to keep him from being lonely. He answers to "Baby". We bring him in at night where he sleeps upstairs in a big cardboard box as the brooder is occupied with three younger chicks. I can't wait until these chickens are all closer in size so they can get the hell out of the house and all live in peace and harmony. Our nights are getting into the low 50's and "Baby" is just 1 month old today, so not finished feathering yet.
Thanks for asking.
smile.png

Vicki

From what I've read the vaccine can be shed but it's not suppose to harm the unvaccinated birds. I've also read that if your birds are outside and they breathe they have been exposed to Mareks.
hu.gif
I don't vaccinate but I can understand why you would be concerned about Baby....soo cute! I have chick envy!
Please let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom