Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
I just subscribed to this thread. My wife and I have several different breeds trying to find the "Best" and brahma won. I will be trying to breed my flock for the broody trait. I think that the enjoyment of watching a hen raise her brood can't be beat.

The Brahma Bunch enjoying some treats :)

Chuck, my girl with the webbed feet, looking beautiful :love

I love seeing Chuck! My girls look similar, I love how huge they are and so silky soft!

Hi everyone. I am new to BYC, but not new to raising chickens. Currently I am raising some beautiful brahmas and marans. Brahmas for the love of the gentle giants, and Marans for the eggs (not that Brahma eggs aren't fantastic
love.gif
)Since this is the brahma thread I will just post a few pics of my girls. I am very excited because I found a gold partridge roo ( 5 months old no less!) that I am picking up in a week, along with some more varieties of hens. Can't wait to take more pics and post them. Currently I have two gold partridge hens, and one gold laced hen.

Questions.... I have 2 hens that are making a sneezing sound?!? What's that are they sick? They're appetites have not changed & other than hearing them make a little funny achew sound every now & then they seem to be ok... I've also got one of the two that makes a weird sound too... She makes a chick sound when she's on the roost... It's a weird low pitched crying sound like she's in pain or something...;-/ it's not loud @ all you can barely hear it... I'm new to chickens so none of y'all make fun of me!!! ;-) I'm just asking questions

Last edited:
Great pictures!

Chuck looks like she's posing for the camera...very pretty. My darks are molting now...they don't look anywhere near as nice.

GLF welcome to BYC! Beautiful colored birds you have! How old are they?

Jwhitty, the sneezing could be something serious or it could be nothing. Mine sneeze when they eat something dusty (like dry crumbles) and sometimes they sneeze when eating wet mash or if they drink too fast. Keep an eye on them...if they're just sneezing when eating/drinking I wouldn't worry about it. If they are sneezing while in the nest box or on the roost, have a nasal discharge or swollen eyes I would isolate those birds for observation/treatment.

Sometimes submissive birds make 'little' sounds on the roost to say 'Don't peck me, all I want to do is snuggle.' If it's very dark they make quiet little sounds back and forth so they know where everyone is...they can't see in dim light so it helps them keep the flock together. I think chickens have a huge vocabulary. I've heard three or four different alarm calls for hawks alone.

Back
Top Bottom