Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics

Hi, I just found this thread and subscribed. Brahmas are my favorite breed, although I do love all of my chickens. I have several Light Brahmas and I have two new Darks. I've never had darks before, so this is new for me. I just adore my Lights. I got them from McMurray hatchery. Their temperament is great, but they are a little smaller than I was hoping and they have a lot of black on them. My light rooster is awesome. My younger flock is only twelve weeks old and I have 3 more lights and the two darks in that flock. These lights seem to be not as friendly as my other flock of older Brahmas. I really enjoy looking at people pictures. Brahmas are such eye candy! I like the other colors that breeders have developed. The silver laced look cool and I also like the blue partridge (I think, it has blue on the bottom half). I've seen some pics of lemon ones somewhere, how cool.

Here's a picture of one of the new Dark Brahmas at twelve weeks. Any insight on cockerel or pullet?

Cockerel. The white feathers on his shoulder and lack of penciling are a dead give-away.

Hi, I just found this thread and subscribed. Brahmas are my favorite breed, although I do love all of my chickens. I have several Light Brahmas and I have two new Darks. I've never had darks before, so this is new for me. I just adore my Lights. I got them from McMurray hatchery. Their temperament is great, but they are a little smaller than I was hoping and they have a lot of black on them. My light rooster is awesome. My younger flock is only twelve weeks old and I have 3 more lights and the two darks in that flock. These lights seem to be not as friendly as my other flock of older Brahmas. I really enjoy looking at people pictures. Brahmas are such eye candy! I like the other colors that breeders have developed. The silver laced look cool and I also like the blue partridge (I think, it has blue on the bottom half). I've seen some pics of lemon ones somewhere, how cool. Here's a picture of one of the new Dark Brahmas at twelve weeks. Any insight on cockerel or pullet?
This is a cockerel. The Dark Brahmas look very different from one another at a fairly young age. The females have lacing all over their bodies except for their heads an necks and the boys have a lot more black on them. He is very handsome!

. Hello all I have this light brahmas hen she is eight months old still no eggs is this normal thanks

. Any comments on this one she has the same body build as the light brahma but she is black and white I have two of these hens I got the eggs from a friend he has no idea who mom or dad is

look for pointed feathers on the back just in front of the tail, you will see them soon and if they appear you have a cockerel (saddle feathers), yours looks male to me

S/he doesn't have any feathers on the back yet. Both of my new dark brahmas have no feathers on their backs, but all of my light brahmas are feathered in. Their wings kind of cover up their backs right now, so it doesn't show much, but if they spread their wings, you see bare backs. Both of my darks also look identical, so maybe I have two dark cockerels. I'm actually excited, because I was hoping I'd get a dark brahma rooster. I'm not sure about two, but we'll see. I remember my light rooster when he was growing up and he was very slow to feather in on his back. But I was able to tell based on the way he walked. These guys all walk around the same, making it difficult to tell based on their strut.

My first flock with brahmas that are about 1 1/2 years old seem to have a lot of variation in their maturity. I'm wondering how common this is? Some of the brahma hens have deep red and large combs and wattles that hang down. Other girls the same age practically do not have any wattles hanging down and their combs are smaller and light pink. They are the same age, why such drastic differences? They are molting at different rates too.

Back
Top Bottom