Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
My 6-month-old birds are almost fully-feathered in now (I'm not feeling feather sheathes while petting them anymore), and I'm amazed at how dense the two Dark Brahmas' feathers are.

The Delawares' feathers are firm, hard, and smooth. The Brahmas' have an amazing, fluffy resiliency that is an open invitation to snuggle them. Sort of like one of those extra-expensive pillows that has a firm, support core with a soft layer on top.

Fortunately Noodle seems to like it when I work my fingers down under the feathers at the base of her neck.

At 23 weeks, one of the dark brahma cockerels is starting to crow! I think he hears the other rooster in the other coop.

My 6-month-old birds are almost fully-feathered in now (I'm not feeling feather sheathes while petting them anymore), and I'm amazed at how dense the two Dark Brahmas' feathers are.

The Delawares' feathers are firm, hard, and smooth. The Brahmas' have an amazing, fluffy resiliency that is an open invitation to snuggle them. Sort of like one of those extra-expensive pillows that has a firm, support core with a soft layer on top.

Fortunately Noodle seems to like it when I work my fingers down under the feathers at the base of her neck.
You described it beautifully! I have Dels, ISAs and Brahmas, and I have to say that I prefer the Brahmas in every way (except that they lay fewer eggs because they like to go broody), which is where the others come in.
big_smile.png

Hoping for some info on Brahma cockerel behavior. Here's the deal: I've got a small flock of mics. Brahma's, and one large 5 month old cockerel. He's acting very protective of his flock, which is fine, but we've bonded with all of them and they like to come to us for treats and love. He's acting possessive, and almost threatening to us if we go toward his flock. Is this normal in an adolescent? Will he possibly mellow out when he's older? He's o.k. at night when I go to tuck them in, but during the day is another story. Have any of you seasoned chicken keepers been through anything like this? Please let me know. All the others have been letting me hold them all along, but now he makes me nervous to get too close.

Hoping for some info on Brahma cockerel behavior. Here's the deal: I've got a small flock of mics. Brahma's, and one large 5 month old cockerel. He's acting very protective of his flock, which is fine, but we've bonded with all of them and they like to come to us for treats and love. He's acting possessive, and almost threatening to us if we go toward his flock. Is this normal in an adolescent? Will he possibly mellow out when he's older? He's o.k. at night when I go to tuck them in, but during the day is another story. Have any of you seasoned chicken keepers been through anything like this? Please let me know. All the others have been letting me hold them all along, but now he makes me nervous to get too close.
I will carry a ten foot piece of pvc pipe, very light weight and flexible, and if the cockerel is acting aggressive I will swat him with it to let him know I am the "A" rooster in the barnyard. He will have a long life if he learns that message early.

ocap, I LOVE IT!!! Hopefully we've both got quick learners! Thanks so much. When I tucked them in tonight he was very docile and sweet. It's daytime that he acts differently. I read on another post somewhere that to swat with your hands is like a sparring match to them, but to forcibly hold them down, like their face to the ground, until they stop fighting will teach them who's the top roo, too.
Thanks again,
Vicki

Edit: Do you think he might abandon the aggressive behavior altogether once he knows I'm a bigger rooster, or will everyone have to prove they're bigger, too?

Last edited:
ocap, I LOVE IT!!! Hopefully we've both got quick learners! Thanks so much. When I tucked them in tonight he was very docile and sweet. It's daytime that he acts differently. I read on another post somewhere that to swat with your hands is like a sparring match to them, but to forcibly hold them down, like their face to the ground, until they stop fighting will teach them who's the top roo, too.
Thanks again,
Vicki

Edit: Do you think he might abandon the aggressive behavior altogether once he knows I'm a bigger rooster, or will everyone have to prove they're bigger, too?
Out of the current batch of cockerels I have one out of ten that needed the lesson, the others ran over to attack the problem cockerel (they wanted to "kick" him while he was down). I kept a lot of cockerels this year while I have been deciding which breed I want to work with next year. The problem cockerel did abandon the aggressive behavior, he is somewhere in the middle of the pecking order. The flock "A" might not be the one that needs the lesson that humans are to be left alone.

ocap, Again, thank you so much. It makes me so sad to look at my problem cockerel's little face in my avatar, and know he's becoming so rude now. You've given me new hope for modifying his behavior. I know he only wants to become a rooster, so I think if I'm a little less respectful of his wishes we can work through this. He's so beautiful and has always been such a gentleman before. Do chickens respond to the word "NO" or must I immediately force him down when he grabs my pant legs? Not trying to be funny, but I've only raised puppies before. This is my first go round with chickens. Thanks again!

ocap, Again, thank you so much. It makes me so sad to look at my problem cockerel's little face in my avatar, and know he's becoming so rude now. You've given me new hope for modifying his behavior. I know he only wants to become a rooster, so I think if I'm a little less respectful of his wishes we can work through this. He's so beautiful and has always been such a gentleman before. Do chickens respond to the word "NO" or must I immediately force him down when he grabs my pant legs? Not trying to be funny, but I've only raised puppies before. This is my first go round with chickens. Thanks again!
the way you describe him, I would go out now with the pvc and give him a light whack just to surprise him. I have never expected my chickens to understand eighty words like my dog so I the only one I use with them is "chick,chick,chick" when I have food and they will come running. Try the word "no" with him when you whack with the pvc and see if he learns, I would like to know. They can speak "chicken" but I don't and now you have me thinking.........hmmmmmmmmmmm

I just don't feel like he's threatening enough to deserve a whack yet. I just went out to open the pop doors and he was still sleeping. I said "Good morning everybody" like I always do so they know it's me. When he stood up on his roost I gently pushed him back down. When I left the coop he was still sitting low. That's enough for his first lesson. I don't want for him to associate me and my voice with pain(at least until he deserves it). I'm hopeful that we're going to be just fine. Somehow I just expected him to always behave himself without any reminders... boy, was I wrong! He was the sole hatchling from a half dozen eggs, so he has social issues anyway. He spent his first weeks staring in a mirror at himself, and thinking he was human. We really bonded, so I want to only use violence as the last resort. He's very special.

Back
Top Bottom