Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
My rooster in my avatar was handled a ton from day one and he is the sweetest, most mellow rooster. I love him. So I have my doubts about handling 100% because I think genetics plays a role, in addition to handling. But we'll see. It's not like I've had 50 roosters. Ask me 20 years from now, and I should have more knowledge.
Well you do have a point, of course. Genetics are very important There are some, like dogs, that are sweet whatever you do! But there are some who will take total advantage, so a good thing to do is err on the side of caution, because the few tyrants are terrible!
roll.png
And handling them can be a bit different depending on the person....I´ve handled mine since young by picking them up when I wanted, carry a bit, check for fleas, check feet,etc.....then put them down. Pick up a hen, carry her somewhere, talk to her, give her treats....just different.

Vickisgirls, thanks for the comment on the little chick, I´m hoping it´ll turn out well. She/he is a partridge, and the hen is a partridge, yes. In England we call them golds, they seem to have very nice natures in general. My brahma cocks have been golds/gold-laced. The other colours I have here are mostly blacks and a couple of buffs. I´d love a blue or two, but when I think I´ve found a blue brahma (in adverts etc) I discover they´re actually cochins! People get a bit mixed up over them here!
roll.png

Vickis, all six of my girls hate the snow! The only one who even tried walking in it to get cracked corn was my Cuckoo Marans, and she did it only to spite the other girls like the snooty frenchie she is. ;) (full disclosure, I'm half French Canadian) My Light Brahma grunlmbled and glowered (she has an EXCELLENT face for a glare), my Buff Orphington did her best matronly disapproving scolding for not putting the corn in an easy to reach place for her, my elder Easter Egger got distracted by hatching out plans to waylay me for corn in the future, the younger vulture-walked three quarters of the way to the corn and lost courage, and my Black Australorp refused to even see what was going on outside the coop, because snow offends her. ;D

lau.gif
Gee, what funny girls you have! Nice assortment of different breeds, too. I ordered Brahma's because we have a very long winter and they were about the hardiest and gentlest. Plus, I love the feathered legs and feet.
I have three young cockerels which came from shipped hatching eggs that were "gold laced." Right away I knew there had been a crow or something in the woodpile, because one of them has some black feathers that shine purple and green (I know the breeder also had Marans). The other oddball is solid black. They're beautiful though, and are not nearly as large as their gold brother. I love all three, so I'm just going to keep the one who doesn't get a home, and I'll be happy with whichever one it is. I had never considered having an assortment until these three nuts hatched. I think an assortment of large breeds might be fun! Since I only have three pullets, I will get a couple more in the spring, but I will not ever hatch again. The experience was amazing, but the agony of raising a single hatchling or having all cockerels hatch out is more than I care to repeat.
This is such a fun and educational thread!

hi, folks, i live in sd and am looking for a good chicken for cold places. are brahmas good, like the chart says?

Yep, they have pea combs so frostbite isn't an issue, feathered feet to help keep them warm, and they're BIG, which means they retain body heat better than a smaller bird. Easter Eggers are good in the winter too, since they have feathered faces instead of wattles.

hi, folks, i live in sd and am looking for a good chicken for cold places. are brahmas good, like the chart says?
Yes, they are very cold hardy. I live in MN. My only complaint is they don't lay very much, especially considering how much they eat. But the fact that they lay in the winter is impressive. My Easter Eggers quit laying in the winter, and the Brahmas continue.

My chickens don't like snow either. They will come for scratch grains, but they don't like it. If it's cold enough, they won't even come out for treats. It's seems like they don't like getting their feet wet.

I noticed today that one of my brahma cockerels was making a funny sound all day long. It wasn't crowing. It wasn't the screach sound they make when eating either. It was sort of a humming and squaking. It's hard to describe, but yet I have not experienced it before. I went in at night when they were on the roosts to sleep, and he was still doing it.

Back
Top Bottom