Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
In that case an EE might be your best bet. My EE was outlaying my Black Australorp with size large eggs right from the start, plus they're a pretty light blue.

I've found my black australorps to be so broody, that I don't get many eggs from them. They are indeed friendly, as their reputation states, but the egg production is low, to the contrary. I still enjoy having a few of them, but I would never have them in large numbers. We do have a lot of easter eggers in both flocks and I've found that they vary a lot. I like them too. But obviously, my brahmas will always be my favored breed!

Our girls are crowding to get out even with snow....save one faverolle, Mango. She will stand on your shoes, other hens, whatever there is so that her feet don't touch the evil white stuff! I only had 2 pullets laying, but both have quit in the last week. It has been all clouds and snow, only 1 or 2 sunny days in about 14, so not too shocking. Those were my BR and my CW. The Wyandotte outpaced my BR once the temps started falling heavily here. Hoping in the spring everyone gets to it and I won't know what to do with all the eggs! My Brahmas are molting pretty badly for being so young and it being cold, but their bodies know what to do as far as I'm concerned. Worried about Cinnamon a little, since she is pulling her foot feathers a bit, but she seems no worse for wear in any other way and is acting normally. Hope everyone has a great and safe new year!!!!!

lau.gif
Gee, what funny girls you have! Nice assortment of different breeds, too. I ordered Brahma's because we have a very long winter and they were about the hardiest and gentlest. Plus, I love the feathered legs and feet.
I have three young cockerels which came from shipped hatching eggs that were "gold laced." Right away I knew there had been a crow or something in the woodpile, because one of them has some black feathers that shine purple and green (I know the breeder also had Marans). The other oddball is solid black. They're beautiful though, and are not nearly as large as their gold brother. I love all three, so I'm just going to keep the one who doesn't get a home, and I'll be happy with whichever one it is. I had never considered having an assortment until these three nuts hatched. I think an assortment of large breeds might be fun! Since I only have three pullets, I will get a couple more in the spring, but I will not ever hatch again. The experience was amazing, but the agony of raising a single hatchling or having all cockerels hatch out is more than I care to repeat.
This is such a fun and educational thread!

Would like to see some pictures of your "wood pile" cockerels. Speaking from experience here, when breeding some of the newer or experimental varieties, some interesting throwbacks can pop up until all traits are well set.

hi, folks, i live in sd and am looking for a good chicken for cold places. are brahmas good, like the chart says?
I live in South Central South Dakota. I have had Brahmas, EEs, California white, and Orpington. I loved my orpingtons, out laid the Brahmas and handled the cold well (if you have a cockeral he may get frostbite) The brahmas are less thrifty as far as feed but I love feathered feet :) They also handled the heat better than the orpingtons. So far I am not impressed with my EE's or California whites as they have stopped laying for about a month an a half and not sure when they will start again. I don't add any supplemental heat or light. Good luck

I'd like to see what the black cockerel will grow up to look like. They are all pretty of course, as all brahmas are.

Back
Top Bottom