Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics

Big Medicine, here's the "Wood pile" boys! Thanks for asking
smile.png

Can't really tell much from that shot.

Don't really know what you were looking for, but I can tell you they're a bunch of sparrow headed, pinched tailed, vulture hocked little crows, but I really love them and they've been critiqued by me enough to last them a long time.

Here's one of my youngsters. I have 2 with this colouring, they are 20 weeks old and I suspect both boys but they are lovely!

My Two Brahma girls came as a result of an accidental purchase of my very first Brahma hen. The first one i had was thrown in on a purchase for an FFA student. A second grade teacher had hatched a group of chickens, some of which were Buff Orpingtons, some silkie and this one lone pullet he tells me, i think shes a brahma. If we took the other 3 buff pullets we had to agree to take the brahma as the teacher was keeping only silkie chickens for his urban backyard.

The FFA kids took 2 buff orpingtons which left me with one as well as the Buff Brahma, which was the beginning of my own new group of pets, easy care, no house training, no need to be entertained for they would be the entertainers.
Jojo was the Brahma and the other hen took such care of her that we named her momma, momma is a Buff Orpington which still is lead hen for our small urban flock.

First picture is Jojo

Then i purchased 3 brahma chicks which turned out to be other two brahma hens, 1 is light color other is buff color who has moulted her black collar off this last summer, hopefully it will return and the third chicks ended up being a Rooster who in fact for me was the meanest rooster ever, although he was bought by a lady whom he obviously loved more than me.
I knew she was the right home for him when he walked up to her and allowed her to pet him so lovingly, it was plain to see he didnt like me...lol

so here we go
first Jojo then Pebbles who was named such because the rooster we called bam bam due to his behavior, Pebbles lays nicest eggs of any hen i own
if you remember the flintstones bam bam carried a bat and slammed it all the time, this rooster did same thing with his wings as he ruled the roost with a heavy hand.
Then the light Brahma whos name is Gracie Lou, graceful she isnt, she is so clumsy and her feet seem too big but she lays the best extra large eggs
enjoy the photos and thank you for making the space for us

It's right up my alley

Jojo

Jojo with Momma in background eating bugs

Pebbles was an award winner at county fair az
she took 1st place

The Rooster Bam Bam is in next cage over, i have more photos of him, he also took 1st place

The Light Brahma Gracie Lou

Bam Bam

Last edited:
Marion, my unexpected, Light Brahma rooster, gets handsomer by the day. That head! That wonderful comb! That 80's rock star "hairdo" with the flowing hackles!

I've seen muddy footprints on the Delawares' backs and saw him chasing the Australorp around the other day so I know he's hitting the hormonal stage. So far so good on behavior. He's not being aggressive with the hens, just interested.

He's standoffish. I could pick him up when he was younger but now he stays out of reach. The only time he started to growl at me was when I was in the back of the coop handling a hen. I shook a finger at him and said, "Don't even think about it." He backed away. I'm thinking that one warmer night (I'm in central NC where the low 60's is a possibility -- though not this week), I'll go out at bedtime to pluck him off the perch and give him a good looking over on my terms.

After I gave them some green weeds today I saw Marion with a particularly nice leaf in his beak. He didn't eat it himself. He gave it to one of the Dark Brahma hens (its hard to tell Noodle from Kiev except by behavior). That's the first time I've seen him go gentlemanly rather than eat something himself.

Both adjoining neighbors have either kids or visiting grandkids who have been introduced to the chickens. One of the grandkid's fathers said that he liked the sound of a crowing rooster -- so hopefully his mom won't mind either come summer when its more audible.

I was disappointed to not end up with any Light Brahma hens but Marion looks to be just what I'd have chosen in a rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom