Backyard Brahmas!!

Quo Vadis, as you know exactly what it is you want, why not see if any breeder has a couple of under-par hens, ie pinched tails, small, etc,  of the colours that you like?

Well I want to be able to raise them from chickhood, get sexed females, and Im ordering a couple of other breeds from the hatcheries.
Im down to either getting buff brahma hens from Ideal or light brahma hens from McMurray, which do you think would fit my needs better (small for brahmas, amd very sweet)?

Well I want to be able to raise them from chickhood, get sexed females, and Im ordering a couple of other breeds from the hatcheries.
Im down to either getting buff brahma hens from Ideal or light brahma hens from McMurray, which do you think would fit my needs better (small for brahmas, amd very sweet)?
Personally I'd go with lights from McMurray. The lights are usually a "standard" breed for most hatcheries and because of that I think the hatcheries concentrate of laying more than in their rare breeds. Just my opinion and what I found with my limited experiences.

@ QuoVadis

on a side note; when I ordered from Ideal I received 12 "packing peanuts" and have heard others had the same experience. I don't know about McMurray but it is something to consider. If you are in a warmer area, it may be different but from warm TX to chilly SD they needed some heat.

I grew them out and they tasted delicious so wasn't the worst, but it depends on what you are comfortable with.

My hatchery brahmas are small, which is the part I don't like. I wanted giants. But I still love everything else about them.

Brahmas are considered to have pea combs right? Whey does my rooster's comb not look like "a row of peas" like the girls? It looks more like a rose comb (I think). My EE and brahma hens all have the pea comb.

Here´s one of my cockerels that I bred from a gold-laced experiment and a gold, sporting his '3 rows of peas'.
lol.png
I caught him dozing, so he´s a bit nonplussed in this pic! I bred him with his gold mother to try to get golds, and have 3 gold chicks from that, one pullet, two cockerels, so I´m pleased, as most of her chicks with the father of this one come out black with gold leakage. You can see it in him. He has a lovely temperament, and he´s nice and chunky. He´s so strong, my arms ache after handling him. I´m thinking of selling him soon and getting another cock if I can find one good enough. I did buy 3 young gold (supposedly) pullets, but they aren´t developing as I´d like. A lot of the brahmas here aren´t as good as he is, so I´m a bit undecided at the moment as to what to do. It´s just that I don´t want to inbreed too much. I plan to put one of the young gold cockerels back to the grandmother if any are nice enough, but that´d be as far as it goes. I must get searching!

Here´s one of my cockerels that I bred from a gold-laced experiment and a gold, sporting his '3 rows of peas'.
lol.png
I caught him dozing, so he´s a bit nonplussed in this pic! I bred him with his gold mother to try to get golds, and have 3 gold chicks from that, one pullet, two cockerels, so I´m pleased, as most of her chicks with the father of this one come out black with gold leakage. You can see it in him. He has a lovely temperament, and he´s nice and chunky. He´s so strong, my arms ache after handling him. I´m thinking of selling him soon and getting another cock if I can find one good enough. I did buy 3 young gold (supposedly) pullets, but they aren´t developing as I´d like. A lot of the brahmas here aren´t as good as he is, so I´m a bit undecided at the moment as to what to do. It´s just that I don´t want to inbreed too much. I plan to put one of the young gold cockerels back to the grandmother if any are nice enough, but that´d be as far as it goes. I must get searching!
This may be obvious but I am just curious is a gold brahma pure gold color of do they have any black coloration on them?

This may be obvious but I am just curious is a gold brahma pure gold color of do they have any black coloration on them?
This is his mum, she´s gold. (Actually, brown with gold bits and black bits, but it´s very pretty, you can just about see the pencilling on her feathers. You can get them too with 'blue' instead of the black Another name for the same colour is partridge, but I say gold because that´s what I´m used to. I like this colour.

Some of my brahmas

pile of 6 buff babies, and a white silkie and miscolored marans

Splash columbian pullet

Splash laced pullet

blue laced and the other splash columbian

face of the splash laced

Some of my brahmas

pile of 6 buff babies, and a white silkie and miscolored marans

Splash columbian pullet

Splash laced pullet

blue laced and the other splash columbian

face of the splash laced
I´m not too clever knowing the colours, but they´re very pretty, especially this last one. Two of the chicks in your first pic look dark, they almost look like partridge. ?

Back
Top Bottom