Backyard Brahmas!!

I´m not too clever knowing the colours, but they´re very pretty, especially this last one.  Two of the chicks in your first pic look dark, they almost look like partridge.  ?

They were supposed to be buff, but they seem to have a laced bird in the background. Three had some lacing and 3 had none, the laced ones feathered faster.

They were supposed to be buff, but they seem to have a laced bird in the background. Three had some lacing and 3 had none, the laced ones feathered faster.

If I was to hazard a guess, my money would be on them being a cross between columbian (light or buff) and penciled (dark or partridge). Either way their Pappy was a gold based bird, likely a buff, if from a hatchery. I'd further speculate the reason they feathered in quicker is they appear to all be pullets.

Your other pullets look to be doing good.

Some of my brahmas

pile of 6 buff babies, and a white silkie and miscolored marans

Splash columbian pullet

Splash laced pullet

blue laced and the other splash columbian

face of the splash laced
droolin.gif
I love the splash laced!

If I was to hazard a guess, my money would be on them being a cross between columbian (light or buff) and penciled (dark or partridge). Either way their Pappy was a gold based bird, likely a buff, if from a hatchery.  I'd further speculate the reason they feathered in quicker is they appear to all be pullets.

Your other pullets look to be doing good.

They were buff hatching eggs from ebay. The seller also had laced bird, but swears they couldn't have gotten mixed up (yea right). one of the lighter laced ones has a bit of waddle growth, but not much. I need to get some good close ups on them, there are 2 that I'm still undecided on. The older pullets are doing great. They all run to the fence for scraps when they hear the house door open.

I like the reddish color.  I know that big medicine is working on that color.  Nice!

The mostly red ones are the splash columbians out of his blue (buff based) columbian project. I can't wait until my buff rooster gets big enough to breed them and we'll have the blue buff columbian (or whatever their name is). I am super lucky to live with an hour or so from him. The girls I got from him are bigger at 5-6 months than my hatchery darks were at full size. Now my delemia is which of the 3 cockerels to keep, 2 are the regular buff and 1 has some partial lacing.

this is the little laced one that I think is a cockerel. he's the lightest laced of the three laced ones. I'm debating on keeping him or one of the correct colored buffs, guess it depends on who is nicer.

lightly laced and normal buff boys

His lacing, he's just a bit darker on wings than body

face of the lightly laced one. pretty red for his age, lot redder than the other laced ones

this is the little laced one that I think is a cockerel. he's the lightest laced of the three laced ones. I'm debating on keeping him or one of the correct colored buffs, guess it depends on who is nicer.

lightly laced and normal buff boys

His lacing, he's just a bit darker on wings than body

face of the lightly laced one. pretty red for his age, lot redder than the other laced ones
I´m a bit lost, Nikki. Do you mean lacing, or pencilling? And the one with the pencilling,I can´t pick out anything that looks like a cockerel to me. The one on the right is definitely a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom