Backyard Brahmas!!

I´m a bit lost, Nikki. Do you mean lacing, or pencilling? And the one with the pencilling,I can´t pick out anything that looks like a cockerel to me. The one on the right is definitely a cockerel.
yea, I meant penciling, just forgot the word. I still go back and forth on that one, the only reason I think cockerel is its pinker in the face than the others and is starting to get waddles. the two bigger buffs are definitely cockerels, I would be really happy if its just an early maturing pullet.

yea, I meant penciling, just forgot the word. I still go back and forth on that one, the only reason I think cockerel is its pinker in the face than the others and is starting to get waddles. the two bigger buffs are definitely cockerels, I would be really happy if its just an early maturing pullet.
It´s easy to say it wrong, because the pencilling does actually look like lace, doesn´t it?
The reason I think it´s a pullet is that it´s round, pencilled, and full of feathers. The cockerels tend to be lanky, more sparse with the feathers, and they normally have quite a bald patch on the wings where their 'grown-up' feathers will come in. Buff cockerels will grow darker buff, almost chestnut feathers in this area. Partridge cockerels will grow brown feathers in this area, etc... Cockerels also develop the habit of keeping the head up, on watch....the pullets generally are too busy scoffing!
I bought 3 little pullets of about a month old. I knew they were pullets because of the feathering....they are very heavily pencilled and well-feathered. One has a much redder face, but she´s still a she.

It´s easy to say it wrong, because the pencilling does actually look like lace, doesn´t it?
The reason I think it´s a pullet is that it´s round, pencilled, and full of feathers. The cockerels tend to be lanky, more sparse with the feathers, and they normally have quite a bald patch on the wings where their 'grown-up' feathers will come in. Buff cockerels will grow darker buff, almost chestnut feathers in this area. Partridge cockerels will grow brown feathers in this area, etc... Cockerels also develop the habit of keeping the head up, on watch....the pullets generally are too busy scoffing!
I bought 3 little pullets of about a month old. I knew they were pullets because of the feathering....they are very heavily pencilled and well-feathered. One has a much redder face, but she´s still a she.

thank you

I need a closer head pic, but this little guy was one of the 3 slower to feather babies, it did get back feathers sooner than the other two though. its lighter winged than the other two and no waddles yet, so I am thinking its female. its also a lot smaller than the other 5. what do you think? 4 out of 6 being females would make me a lot happier than 3 after the horrible luck I had with the marans

thank you

I need a closer head pic, but this little guy was one of the 3 slower to feather babies, it did get back feathers sooner than the other two though. its lighter winged than the other two and no waddles yet, so I am thinking its female. its also a lot smaller than the other 5. what do you think? 4 out of 6 being females would make me a lot happier than 3 after the horrible luck I had with the marans
My first reaction was cockerel because of the colouring on the wings and the amount of black on its back . And it seems to have long legs. But the amount of feathering and the tail looks rather like a pullet. I can see slight pencilling on its rump. This one I´m less sure about, but I think it looks a bit more like pullet than cockerel as I can´t see any cockerel colours coming through.
At the moment I have a BrahmaxOrpington x Delaware youngster, which some days I think is a pullet with a very developed colour in comb and wattles, but other days I think it´s a cockerel with short legs and good feathering! It makes more noise, like a cockerel, but then the Dels are a noisy bunch anyway! If it´s a hen I´ll keep it for eggs, if it´s a cock there´s someone who wants it for breeding meat birds.

My first reaction was cockerel because of the colouring on the wings and the amount of black on its back .  And it seems to have long legs.   But the amount of feathering and the tail looks rather like a pullet. I can see slight pencilling on its rump. This one I´m less sure about, but I think it looks a bit more like pullet than cockerel as I can´t see any cockerel colours coming through.
At the moment I have a BrahmaxOrpington x Delaware youngster, which some days I think is a pullet with a very developed colour in comb and wattles, but other days I think it´s a cockerel with short legs and good feathering!  It makes more noise, like a cockerel, but then the Dels are a noisy bunch anyway!  If it´s a hen I´ll keep it for eggs, if it´s a cock there´s someone who wants it for breeding meat birds.

Since its the runt, I'll give it more time and see how it developes. :)

I agree, first bird in question appears to be a pullet, as does the second.

Now something to keep in mind. If you plan on breeding these birds. Using these late blooming "runts" in your breeding pen can pass this trait on to the next generation. There is a saying among the old time breeders that goes something along the lines "You will get what you will tolerate". Meaning if you will tolerate shortcomings in the birds you breed from, don't be surprised to find more of it in their young, potentially becoming a trait of your line. Just because you have a bird does not mean it should be used in your breeding pens. The only way you can improve, or develop specific features is by carefully picking your breeders.

Now something to keep in mind. If you plan on breeding these birds. Using these late blooming "runts" in your breeding pen can pass this trait on to the next generation. There is a saying among the old time breeders that goes something along the lines "You will get what you will tolerate". Meaning if you will tolerate shortcomings in the birds you breed from, don't be surprised to find more of it in their young, potentially becoming a trait of your line. Just because you have a bird does not mean it should be used in your breeding pens. The only way you can improve, or develop specific features is by carefully picking your breeders.
Good point to make..I always like the old-timers´ sayings. So whether it´s male or female, both ways it´s not a good'n. If pullet...well you could keep her for her eggs. I have some hens here that I only use to keep the cock happy, and get eggs. And you have a nice little bunch of chooks already, eh? Like BigMed said, be a bit fussy. And if you don´t like ANY of the cockerels, get another.

Now something to keep in mind. If you plan on breeding these birds. Using these late blooming "runts" in your breeding pen can pass this trait on to the next generation.  There is a saying among the old time breeders that goes something along the lines "You will get what you will tolerate".  Meaning if you will tolerate shortcomings in the birds you breed from, don't be surprised to find more of it in their young, potentially becoming a trait of your line.  Just because you have a bird does not mean it should be used in your breeding pens.  The only way you can improve, or develop specific features is by carefully picking your breeders.

:) If its female I can send it to my mom's for a layer, but she wants nothing that could be a rooster. The two that are roosters, one has some funny toes on one foot (I guess from incubation) but He is also smaller than the other. Not breeding for show, but I do want to stay as close to the standard as possible type wise (but I do love the pretty colors).
I'll see how my one grows and send you pics in the spring

Sorry for the zillion pics ;)

Darkest pullet and cockerel 1

would this be lacing or penciling?

Cockerel 1 (Thomas) and a couple pullets

I think this is cockerel 2 (James)
I have a 3 year old son that loves Thomas the train so the brahmas are Thomas, James, Emily, millie, annie, clairabelle, Caitlyn, Belle, Mavis and Henrietta

In my judgement it is residual penciling, likely the outcome of a cross of a buff Brahma male (buff columbian) over a dark Brahma female (silver penciled). Could probably get similar results with a partridge male over a columbian female, buff or light.
A single laced feather has a solid base color with a black edge lace,in the case of gold laced.

A double laced feather also has a dark outer lacing.

A penciled, (partridge or dark) has a lighter outer edge.

These are all examples of hen feathers.

Back
Top Bottom