Backyard Brahmas!!

In my judgement it is residual penciling, likely the outcome of a cross of a buff Brahma male (buff columbian) over a dark Brahma female (silver penciled). Could probably get similar results with a partridge male over a columbian female, buff or light.
A single laced feather has a solid base color with a black edge lace,in the case of gold laced.

A double laced feather also has a dark outer lacing.

A penciled, (partridge or dark) has a lighter outer edge.

These are all examples of hen feathers.
Thank you. that's a great explaination :)

In my judgement it is residual penciling, likely the outcome of a cross of a buff Brahma male (buff columbian) over a dark Brahma female (silver penciled). Could probably get similar results with a partridge male over a columbian female, buff or light.
A single laced feather has a solid base color with a black edge lace,in the case of gold laced.

A double laced feather also has a dark outer lacing.

A penciled, (partridge or dark) has a lighter outer edge.

These are all examples of hen feathers.
Thank you for posting those pics. I'm always confused about colors. Can you also explain what exactly splash is? I know you posted some pictures of splash, but I still don't understand. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for posting those pics. I'm always confused about colors. Can you also explain what exactly splash is? I know you posted some pictures of splash, but I still don't understand. Thanks in advance!

Andalusian blue, which has a phase called splash, has the possibility of producing three different, but related colors from the same breeding.

Blue is a diluter of black.

A bird with black feathers carries two copies of black.

A blue feathered bird carries one copy of black, and a copy of blue, there by diluting the normally black feather to a bluish/grey color.

Now a bird that carries two copies of blue is what is considered splash. The normally black feathers are further diluted to a washed out very light blue to almost white color.

In this photo, the bird on the left is black laced, (you can see some green sheen showing), carries two copies of black.

The bird to the right is blue laced, one copy of black, and one copy of blue.

The bird in the center is splash laced, two copies of blue.

With that in mind, here is how the breeding of blue works.

A blue bird, possessing one copy of black, and one copy of blue, passes only one copy to it's chicks. a 50-50 shot whether they receive blue or black.

A black bird, having two copies of black, all chicks get a copy of black.

A splash bird, having two copies of blue, all chicks get a copy of blue.

Breeding blue to blue should produce 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash chicks.

Breeding splash to black will produce 100% blue chicks.

Black to black 100% black chicks.

Splash to splash 100% splash

Blue to splash 50% blue 50%splash

Blue to black 50% blue 50% black

With that in mind, here is how the breeding of blue works.

A blue bird, possessing one copy of black, and one copy of blue, passes only one copy to it's chicks. a 50-50 shot whether they receive blue or black.

A black bird, having two copies of black, all chicks get a copy of black.

A splash bird, having two copies of blue, all chicks get a copy of blue.

Breeding blue to blue should produce 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash chicks.

Breeding splash to black will produce 100% blue chicks.

Black to black 100% black chicks.

Splash to splash 100% splash

Blue to splash 50% blue 50%splash

Blue to black 50% blue 50% black
Wow! Now I understand! I remember from biology class discussing recessive genes, but it sounds like from what you are saying, you can tell what black genes the chickens have by knowing these color combos. So, I would assume that there is an occasional outcropping, a color that you don't expect to see every now and then. So, how does partridge, laced, double laced and solid breed?

Last edited:
Andalusian blue, which has a phase called splash, has the possibility of producing three different, but related colors from the same breeding.

Blue is a diluter of black.

A bird with black feathers carries two copies of black.

A blue feathered bird carries one copy of black, and a copy of blue, there by diluting the normally black feather to a bluish/grey color.

Now a bird that carries two copies of blue is what is considered splash. The normally black feathers are further diluted to a washed out very light blue to almost white color.

In this photo, the bird on the left is black laced, (you can see some green sheen showing), carries two copies of black.

The bird to the right is blue laced, one copy of black, and one copy of blue.

The bird in the center is splash laced, two copies of blue.

BTW, love the red on that center bird. Great color.

Wow! Now I understand! I remember from biology class discussing recessive genes, but it sounds like from what you are saying, you can tell what black genes the chickens have by knowing these color combos. So, I would assume that there is an occasional outcropping, a color that you don't expect to see every now and then. So, how does partridge, laced, double laced and solid breed?

Ok, now you're talking patterns, This is a completely separate, and much more complicated matter.

Patterns are determined by a combination of genes,

Henk's calculator can be very helpful. Play around with it.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Ok, now you're talking patterns, This is a completely separate, and much more complicated matter.

Patterns are determined by a combination of genes,

Henk's calculator can be very helpful. Play around with it.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
I've played with it a lot. I like the tab view of it. Unfortunately, most of the time I don't really understand what I'm plugging into it :)

I've played with it a lot. I like the tab view of it. Unfortunately, most of the time I don't really understand what I'm plugging into it :)
lau.gif
Well done for trying, though! I don´t even try it!

I'm so excited! My little pullet (okay, she's not so little) actually laid two eggs this week! I only check their box every few days because she wasn't laying yet. I guess I'll have to check every day now. It seems strange that her egg is so much smaller than my layer's eggs. But anyway, I'm happy, happy, happy!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom